Sail number in a world Championship

Discuss class championship regulations, sailing instructions, umpiring, observing, scoring software, fleet racing systems, forthcoming international events, etc

Moderator: Rob Walsh

Olivier Cohen
IOMICA Chairman
Sail number: FRA 100
Design: Venti
France

Sail number in a world Championship

Post by Olivier Cohen » 23 Jul 2007, 11:30

Hello, is there a rule to decide which sailor will have to get a 1, or a 2, or a 3 in his sails in front of his 2 usual numbers?
IOMICA Chairman

Andy Stevenson
GBR NCA Officer

Post by Andy Stevenson » 23 Jul 2007, 14:07

Hi Olivier,

Appendix E of the RRS has what you’re looking for I think.
E6(b) wrote:[...]A single-digit number shall be prefixed with a ‘0’. There shall be space in front of a sail number for the prefix ‘1’, which may be required by the race committee where there is a conflict between sail numbers. Where a conflict remains, the race committee shall require that sail numbers be suitably changed until the conflict is resolved. Any prefix ‘1’ or other required change shall become part of the sail number.
It makes sense for the race committee to allocate numbers as entries come in, for example:

First entry: GBR 1779 is allocated sail number 79
Second entry: FRA 2279 is allocated sail number 179
Third entry: USA 1179 is allocated sail number 279

So the rule doesn’t specifically state in what order sail numbers are allocated, it just requires the race committee to ensure no conflicts exist.

Cheers
Andy Stevenson
"A little pain never hurt anyone!" Sam, aged 11

Olivier Cohen
IOMICA Chairman
France

Post by Olivier Cohen » 23 Jul 2007, 14:27

Hi Andy,

Thanks, I know this one.

The issue is how to decide who is first? Entries come in may be a solution...but entries are sent by NCA, not by competitors...
IOMICA Chairman

Bruce Andersen
USA NCA Officer
Sail number: USA 16
Club: Famous Potatoes Sailing Club
Design: Brit Pop

Post by Bruce Andersen » 24 Jul 2007, 02:09

It is up to the Race Organizers - IOMICA has no set instructions for who gets which 3rd digit.

awallin

Post by awallin » 24 Jul 2007, 09:11

there is nothing in the class rule that talks about an added 2 or 3 in front of the number, just a "1".

So an argument could also be made that the first person gets allocated
"79"
the second
"179"

and the third should be allocated a number completely separate from these numbers. for example
"35"

there are a lot more than 76 two-digit numbers (even throwing out the ones that look similar in mirror-image) so allocating the numbers shouldn't be a problem.

if the competitor is made aware of the change say 4-weeks prior to the event then he/she should have a lot of time to do the changes required.

AW

Olivier Cohen
IOMICA Chairman
France

Post by Olivier Cohen » 24 Jul 2007, 09:18

VCinfocomms wrote:there is nothing in the class rule that talks about an added 2 or 3 in front of the number, just a "1".
Hello Anders,

Yes there is : In appendix E :

[...]A single-digit number shall be prefixed with a ‘0’. There shall be space in front of a sail number for the prefix ‘1’, which may be required by the race committee where there is a conflict between sail numbers. Where a conflict remains, the race committee shall require that sail numbers be suitably changed until the conflict is resolved. Any prefix ‘1’ or other required change shall become part of the sail number....

So any change, not only a 1, but why not a 2 or 3?
IOMICA Chairman

awallin

Post by awallin » 24 Jul 2007, 09:34

Hi Olivier,

you may be right!

But from a skippers point of view I would argue that a requirement to insert a "2" or "3" in front of my usual sail number is as much work or more than simply re-doing all the numbers to something else like "35".

Why ? Because I've left space in front of my normal number for a "1", so now the required "2" or "3" will not fit!
That means I need to re-position almost all numbers, and in the case of the no2 or no3 rig I need to carry with me reduced-size number stencils for this special case (since the normal sized numbers just barely fit these sails).

So my view is that a 279 or 379 creates arguably more work for the skipper, and it's also harder for the race-committee and others to distinguish from 79 and 179. It's also longer and uglier.

Anyway it looks like Appendix E is written so that the race-committee may do whatever they want :) I just hope they inform the skippers concerned as early as possible. (not while you are queuing for event measurement!)

Anders

CARDOSO

Post by CARDOSO » 24 Jul 2007, 13:25

Sometimes 2 or 3 before the number is a hard work (no space);
Why not a 1 "after" the number? ; 67 will be 671

It worked to me in Pierrelatte Nationale last April.

Hope it helps

Regards
José Cardoso
POR 67