Thank You Greg Willis

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

Chairman
IOMICA Chairman

Post by Chairman » 16 Aug 2007, 12:28

Seeing this is my thread could you 2 take your argument elseware.
Good God,
I go away for a couple of weeks and look what happens.
Don't think we will ever see Roy and Lester agree nor are we likely to see Lester and Bruce agreeing. Mind you I have not always agree with Lester either, which lead to a mutual agreement that we never pm each other. Might say something? Going to be fun times in the executive. :)

As Chairman I have been very careful not to preempt the WC or VCs and only perform the duties of Chairman. I'm looking forward to some proactive imput from the outside. There are a number of issues that need to be debated and then leading to some WC action.

Just to set a few things straight from an inside personal perspective.

After an extended debate with Lester pre WC 2005 it became apparent the IOMICA rules I was accused of ignoring were actually Lester’s Rules. Initially we were invited to make adjustments but when they were not in line with Lester belief we were presented with an ultimatum. As history will show, a lot of the ideas we wanted to introduce were used in the Fleetwood RM worlds and have been fine tuned further for the next IOMICA WC. Very hard to wear two caps and I hope Andy does not become a mini Lester or visa versa. (Yes, while on the events committee, Lester did an IOMICA appendix Q version similar to what we now have but closer to ISAF and big boats and yes Lester did resign 28/10/07 and I asked him to reconsider on 2 occasions)

As I understand it, the bundling of the rule changes in 2005 was due to the assumption that the executive emergency rule changes with approval from RSD would receive ratification from the WC. I have not been able to find any thing that justifies that approach. At the last AGM the executive took a different approach and had the WC proposals voted on then applied for RSD approval. During that process some greater problems were highlighted by the RSD Technical committee. In response the executive formalised appropriate changes in line with WC wishes but withdrew the complicated issues for further debate, of which there has been none.

And while I’m here
Andy from you home page.
the current inactivity of the IOMICA Executive committee will ultimately prove fatal.
Thank you
Sailmaker self-certification, water free measurement and Class Rule anomalies that remain unresolved.
Needs to come from WC there is NO consensus in the forum, mind you Mike has some great ideas.
the current Executive Committee on the whole has failed to perform adequately, the individual Vice Chairmen obviously bear a proportion of the blame for this. However a lack of direction from the Chairman has been a large factor.
Direction does not come from the Chair it comes from the WC or a Dictator if you prefer.
I hope that my running for the Chairmanship will bring these issues to the attention of IOM owners and encourage others to take an active role in the running of the IOM class.
You have already had 2 years to “encourage otherâ€
Chairman
IOMICA Executive

Lester

Post by Lester » 16 Aug 2007, 14:58

Hi Greg

Your input is welcome!
Chairman wrote:Seeing this is my thread
Ah, no, it is Roy's thread, he started it, although it does have your name in the title. Your thread is the one next to it.
Mind you I have not always agree with Lester either, which lead to a mutual agreement that we never pm each other.
Gosh, I had consigned that to past history.
it became apparent the IOMICA rules I was accused of ignoring were actually Lester’s Rules
Well, if that is how you wish to have it, you seem to be the Chairman of Lester's Executive, operating according to Lester's Constitution and Lester's Regulations, working with Lester's World Council and Lester's NCAs, using Lester's Forum, getting elected according to Lester's Procedures for Election, writing Annual Reports to RSD using Lester's template, etc etc etc. Ugh! I don't think so.
a lot of the ideas we wanted to introduce were used in the Fleetwood RM worlds and have been fine tuned further for the next IOMICA WC
Yes, and good ideas they were too. I just wish you had approached IOMICA earlier with a view to co-operatively developing them into something that IOMICA could have found acceptable. The point I was making was that the organising committee did not realise, until way too late in the day, that the event was an IOMICA event and not a RSD event and was therefore subject to IOMICA rules which were different from what the organising committee had been expecting. Painful all round, certainly.
(Yes, while on the events committee, Lester did an IOMICA appendix Q version similar to what we now have but closer to ISAF and big boats
Well, let's complete this picture. The IOMICA Appendix Q was based upon the ISAF Appendix Q, in exactly the same way that the RSD Addendum Q is based upon the ISAF Addendum Q. It started life by being used for the first time at the IOM Worlds in Croatia, and lessons were incorporated. It then had the benefit of being used at the IOM Worlds in Vancouver, where it received detailed and constructive comments from the Judges who implemented it, and changes were made. It was then used at Arcos, when unauthorised changes resulted in unacceptable competitor (and Judges!) behaviour. It was the subject of an extensive and detailed competitor's survey from which certain lessons were learned and incorporated. Lester's rules? Please.
As I understand it, the bundling of the rule changes in 2005 was due to the assumption that the executive emergency rule changes with approval from RSD would receive ratification from the WC. I have not been able to find any thing that justifies that approach
To be fair, you would not have found anything which would have justified any other approach either. But there was a lesson to be learned there, and in another life, I would recommend to the Exec that each of the items requiring ratification should be presented separately.
Lester you may recall a similar communication you had with Richard Rowan in 05. Just so we are crystal clear on how I feel and to quote Lester. “my nomination for Chairman will stand but if elected and you have anything to do with the executive I will resignâ€
Lester Gilbert
http://www.onemetre.net/

Andy Stevenson
GBR NCA Officer

Post by Andy Stevenson » 16 Aug 2007, 15:33

Hi Greg

Thank you for your thoughts, I understand that you disagree with a lot of what I’ve said. We’ve disagreed on what the Exec should be doing & how to do it before. I’ve voiced my concerns within the Exec, especially regarding Sub Committees, this isn’t anything new.

I’ve made public my reasons for wanting to run for Chairman, in doing so I’ve pointed out where I think the Exec has problems and might be improved. This has upset some people and I regret that. But I’d rather make my concerns known, attempt to be constructive about it & be beaten by a more appropriate candidate with better ideas, than do nothing and watch as my concerns continue to grow.
Direction does not come from the Chair it comes from the WC or a Dictator if you prefer.
If elected I do not intend to dictate. I intend to ask the Exec to consider those issues that I feel are important as well as issues that may, over time be brought to our attention. The outcomes of those considerations are the responsibility of the various Sub Committees, followed by the Exec as a whole and then put to the World Council, as with all issues that come to the attention of IOMICA.

We see the role differently. I believe the Exec should advise the WC on all issues relating to the class, no matter the source of those issues.

Cheers
Andy Stevenson
"A little pain never hurt anyone!" Sam, aged 11

Chairman
IOMICA Chairman

Post by Chairman » 17 Aug 2007, 03:35

Lester again we speak a different language and I am sure you will have the last say on this thread but :wink:
Ah, no, it is Roy's thread
Just a light hearted intro with a bit of history.
you seem to be the Chairman of Lester's Executive, operating according to Lester's Constitution and Lester's Regulations, ........
That is reality and you should be proud of it but that does not mean they cannot be improved and developed.
Well, let's complete this picture.
Still not there, need some more paint which I am thinking will come after the WC
I hope this was a public communication .......I hope this was a public communication
No it was not public but as we don't do PMs, thought I would pay you a subtle compliment. Guess you missed it.

Not into beating anyone up over a one metre piece of plastic but like you I am disappointed when the walkers are blown by the talkers. Will ultimately leave no walkers (read workers) A sad blight on modern society and the vocal minority. Our members need to realise their inactivity is simply condoning any unwanted or unnecessary activities.

Andy, if in doubt, this is not directed at you as you have done a great job and my feelings for your recent actions have been made clear.
We see the role differently
Yes we do, as do all our current executive but they have also put there hand up and need to be allowed to perform their duties. Just be careful you don’t end up doing everything. I am sure Lester will tell you what that is like. Looks like you’re the future Chairman and I publically thank you for taking on the position and responsibility. Good luck.

I’m done here

Greg
Chairman
IOMICA Executive