Rig fittings

Discuss the IOM class rules and interpretations

Moderators: Pedro Egea, jeffbyerley

Lester

Rig fittings

Post by Lester » 09 Sep 2008, 01:16

Hi Bruce

A curious place to post your message into the "WC Resolutions" forum -- no one outside of the WC can reply there. On the assumption you would like some comment,
Bruce Anderson wrote:Although fittings with flat surfaces may not add performance advantage, the size and area of rig fittings may need to be regulated.
It may be worth noting that the Class Rules make an attempt to limit what a fitting can do:
IOM Class Rules wrote:F.2.3 LIMITATIONS. The function of items shall be limited to what is normally provided by items of their type.
I seem to recall that this has been used in the past to refuse certification to booms with large-area clew attachment fittings, for example.
Lester Gilbert
http://www.onemetre.net/

RoyL

Post by RoyL » 12 Sep 2008, 17:16

Related to this question, there seems to be finally some desire to clarify the rules regarding permitted materials for rig fittings. As currently written the IOM Class Rules do not specify any permitted materials for rig fittings and the class has acted as if this means that rig fitting materials are unrestricted.

As a strict matter of interpretation, however, the opposite is true. Effectively, the class rules do not permit any rig fittings of any kind since no permitted materials are specified and under our general principles, anything not specifically permitted is illegal.

This whole thing could be cleared up if we passed a rule change that said the following:

"Rig Fittings/Materials: Materials for rig fittings shall be unrestricted".

Any feedback? Any proposals?

Hiljoball
Sail number: CAN 307
Club: West Coast Radio Sailing
Design: V8
Canada

Post by Hiljoball » 12 Sep 2008, 18:19

RoyL wrote:
This whole thing could be cleared up if we passed a rule change that said the following:

"Rig Fittings/Materials: Materials for rig fittings shall be unrestricted".

Any feedback? Any proposals?
Roy, I believe that this relates to Spars and so belongs in section F. If it were in F1 or F2, it would apply to all spars and rigging.

I would add to your phrase, "except where specified".
John Ball
CRYA #895
IOM CAN 307 V8
In my private capacity

Lester

Post by Lester » 12 Sep 2008, 23:32

Hi John and Roy

I guess you'd need something like this:
F.2.5 MATERIALS
Materials for rig fittings shall be unrestricted except where specified.
Lester Gilbert
http://www.onemetre.net/