Issues with AMYA, ISAF, relations with US Sailing

Discuss how IOMICA and IOM NCAs operate

Moderators: Pedro Egea, Gary Boell, Fred Rocha USA 33

Steve Landeau

Issues with AMYA, ISAF, relations with US Sailing

Post by Steve Landeau » 24 Oct 2008, 03:19

Hi, everyone.
As some of you know, The AMYA (American Model Yachting Association) has decided that their sponsorship of International sailing has become a low priority on their annual budget, and they are no longer interested in paying our ISAF dues. Granted, there are no dues necessary at this time, but they did not know that when they quietly decided that it was not worth paying for.
SO... sooneer or later USA is going to have a problem to deal with. I waited until our AMYA election was done before addressing this, but since the incumbents will be around for 2 more years, I need to look at my options.
Since AMYA is a member of US Sailing, is it possible to have IOMICA allow members of either organization be eligible for competition? Currently, IOMICA sees AMYA as our DM. I don't think it's right to force an IOM owner to join an organization that is not going to support said skipper. Yes, maybe we'll go the NCA route, but I thought I'd run the US Sailing option past you all first. Many of us are already dual members of boat organizations, and some IOM skippers may be required to continue dual membership anyway due to the other AMYA classes they sail.
Everyones opinion, as well as facts from our WC are both welcome and anticipated.
Thanks.
Steve Landeau
AMYA 10859
IOM USA 112
Finn USA 112
Cal 25 #548

Andy Stevenson
GBR NCA Officer

Post by Andy Stevenson » 24 Oct 2008, 11:07

Hi Steve
IOMICA sees AMYA as our DM
IOMICA Constitution 7.1.1 wrote:[...]recognised by their DM (or MNA if no DM exists)[...]
If the AMYA no longer feel the need to act as the ISAF-RSD DM, I see no reason why the NCA for USA can’t seek recognition from the ISAF MNA (US Sailing).

Cheers
Andy Stevenson
"A little pain never hurt anyone!" Sam, aged 11

Steve Landeau

Post by Steve Landeau » 24 Oct 2008, 18:30

Thanks, Andy.
We'll be discussing it further in the days to come. Our Nationals is next week in the snow, and it will be a good time to get started. Do you think it will be possible to write it up to allow either membership, or do you think we'll have to pick one or the other? I don't think it will work if we have to choose the latter.
Steve Landeau
AMYA 10859
IOM USA 112
Finn USA 112
Cal 25 #548

Andy Stevenson
GBR NCA Officer

Post by Andy Stevenson » 29 Oct 2008, 16:41

Hi Steve.
Do you think it will be possible to write it up to allow either membership
IOMICA requires that an NCA be recognised by a DM, or MNA in the absence of a DM. I’m not sure how an either / or situation would work.

Cheers
Andy Stevenson
"A little pain never hurt anyone!" Sam, aged 11