Barbados Worlds 2009 International One Metre Notice Of Race

Discuss class championship regulations, sailing instructions, umpiring, observing, scoring software, fleet racing systems, forthcoming international events, etc

Moderator: Rob Walsh

Sen Peter Gilkes

Post by Sen Peter Gilkes » 22 Apr 2009, 14:47

You are free to submit your entry and join the event, there is NO limitation or restriction on any one or any country but if you were to read the list of entries you will clearly see these countries to be well represented and they have been praised for doing so.

We stand ready and willing to accommodate persons from anywhere around the globe that would like to come to this event, all that needs to happen is for the application to be emailed to us for processing.

So those in the UK, France and Croatia and wherever else in the world that you reside put that pen to paper and complete your entry and email it to us at barbadosworlds@gmail.com for the best week of fun and serious sailing.

Lester

Post by Lester » 22 Apr 2009, 15:15

Hi Peter

Thanks for the clarification.

However, you seem to imply that entrants can contact you and enter directly. In fact, the rules require any competitor to be entered by their NCA (for obvious reasons):
Class Championship Regulations wrote:7. ELIGIBILITY
7.2. Any competitor in the Championship shall be a national or a permanent resident of the country of the Member NCA that is entering him / her.
The entry form of each entrant is countersigned by the NCA which is entering him or her:
Entry form wrote:2.To be completed by the IOM NCA entering the above competitor.
I have read the IOMICA Class Championship Regulations, in particular the Entry & Eligibility clauses, and this competitor does comply with those regulations. The competitor is (tick only one box):
□ a National □ a Permanent Resident
Qualifying order of selection. This is the order in which your competitors will be allocated places, please circle one number for this competitor’s entry:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Signature of IOM NCA Official: Office or position:
I hope that helps prospective last-minute entrants.
Lester Gilbert
http://www.onemetre.net/

JOAN GELPI

Post by JOAN GELPI » 22 Apr 2009, 16:56

Dear friends, I'm a "young IOM" sailor and this is my first time competing in an international IOM event (this is not my first world championship or international race).

I've read the social schedule where there are some fantastic activities/options during the Worlds.

Due to important budget for some (I think) competitors for the Barbados Worlds and cost of entry, my question is if the organization have any thoughts about any free picnics for sailors during the races or other meals/dinner without cost.

Best regards.
Joan Gelpí
IOMCAT-169 (Barcelona)

Sen Peter Gilkes

Post by Sen Peter Gilkes » 23 Apr 2009, 05:41

Mr Gilbert,

You need not worry too much about how they complete the entry, as like you I am sure that each and everyone planning on ertering will be fully aware as to how they need to go about completeing the enrty form.

Once again they can email barbadosworlds@gmail.com and we be only to happy to have them attend.
Last edited by Sen Peter Gilkes on 23 Apr 2009, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.

Sen Peter Gilkes

Post by Sen Peter Gilkes » 23 Apr 2009, 06:23

The committee is beginning to try to make some firm plans and to this end we would like those sailors to please provide travel details to Penny at barbadosworlds@gmail.com for processing.

Further to this we need to know who maybe staying at any of our approved hotels so as to begin making travel arrangements, as stated earlier transport will be provided at a nominal cost only from those hotels that we have provided on the hotel section of www.sailbarbados.com website.
Suggested Hotels

Coconut Court

Mention "IOM Regatta" and get rates of $110.00 USD per night inclusive of Tax and Breakfast

Read more...

Little Good Harbor

Mention "IOM Regatta" and get rates of US$ 200.00 per night inclusive of taxes
transport to and from the race venue each day.

Read more...

Sugar Cane Club

Mention "IOM Regatta" and get rates of
USD $125.00 Garden View or $135.00 Ocean View including breakfast for two
double occupancy
+7.5% Government VAT
Read more...

Rostrevor

Superior Ocean Front Studios at a special rate of USD $103/night (all taxes included). Full breakfast may be added at a rate of USD $13.50 /person/day (USD $10 for children).
Read more...
IOM reservation form for Savannah or Blue Horizon

The Savannah

Option # 1 Continental Breakfast US$ 170 -Single occupancy / US$ 195 Double occupancy

Option # 2 Full Breakfast & In-room internet - US$ 190 – Single occupancy / US$ 235 Double occupancy
Read more...

The Blue Horizon

Option # 1 Continental Breakfast - US$ 90 Single occupancy / US$ 105 Double occupancy

Option # 2 English Breakfast & Wireless Internet - US$ 105 - Single occupancy / US$ 135 Double occupancy

Read more...

Sen Peter Gilkes

Post by Sen Peter Gilkes » 24 Apr 2009, 04:51

In our effort to make this event an event in a class of its own, we are respectfully requesting that each of you sailors that have entered the IOM BARBADOS WORLDS 2009 we would like a brief BIo from you to use in our promotion for this event, if you can put them together and submit them to us by email at barbadosworlds@gmail.com it would be greatly appreciate, remember we are looking forward to having these Bio's as soon as possible for publication and remember we need each and every person who has entered to please provide your Bio.

Sen Peter Gilkes

Post by Sen Peter Gilkes » 24 Apr 2009, 05:49

Attention Participants: Please submit a digital copy of your National Anthem, either through email or hand delivered for use at our closing ceremonies.

Nigel

Post by Nigel » 24 Apr 2009, 08:41

Peter,

can you please give a brief idea of what the bio should include and I'll get the German team members to provide the details.

Many thanks.
Nigel Winkley
GER 87

Sen Peter Gilkes

Post by Sen Peter Gilkes » 24 Apr 2009, 13:54

I would suggest, listing their sailing background, achievements todate and present area of sailing and level of competition attended, and the number of world championships attended and placings.

Sen Peter Gilkes

Post by Sen Peter Gilkes » 25 Apr 2009, 07:07

Some great news, I have just been informed that the Barbados Tourism Authority has arranged for the International press to cover first the Mount Gay Regatta and then the IOM Barbados Worlds 2009 among these guest we should be having the editor from Sailing Anarchy taking part.

Sen Peter Gilkes

Post by Sen Peter Gilkes » 27 Apr 2009, 06:31

IOM BARBADOS WORLDS 2009
Sailing and Social Schedule
June 19th - 27th 2009

We have finalised our package for the Yacht Club Dinner evening that will include a Steel Pan Player, Dancers, and other local cultural displays. This evening will give you a taste of Barbados from its Roots to where we are today in music and dance Caribbean style.

The other evening that we have arranged is the Brazillian evening at Paulo's Charrasco do Brasil, this was a massive hit with all those who attended last year's event and we have been asked to place this on our program for this year as it is not to be missed.

Mount Gay will be hosting a Cocktail Party on Thursday June 25th starting at 6.00 pm at their world famous visitors centre, this will also be the venue of the presentation of the prizes for the day's racing.

We are also discussing our options for the final evening's dinner at the lovely Wispers On The Bay once we have finalised our arrangements they will be posted on this site.

We look forward to welcoming each and every one of you to Barbados for this wonderful, fun filled event.

June 19th
1700 hrs Volunteers briefing at The Boat Yard Bay Street

June 20th
0900 hrs - Registration, equipment inspection, practice sail
1700 hrs - Competitors briefing meeting at The Boat Yard
1800 hrs - Opening Ceremony at the Boat Yard Bay Street

June 21st
0800 hrs -Volunteers briefing
0900 hrs -1700 hrs Racing Day 1
1700 - 1800 hrs After Race happy hour and daily prize giving at the Boat Yard

June 22nd
0800 hrs - Volunteers briefing
0900 hrs - 1700 hrs Racing Day 2
1700 hrs - 1800 hrs After race happy hour and daily prize giving at the Boat Yard

June 23rd
0900 - 1700 hrs Racing Day 3
1700hrs -1800 hrs After race happy hour and daily prize giving at the Boat Yard
1800 hrs - 2200 hrs Beach buffet and Cultural Show at the Barbados Yacht Club Bay Street
Cost: US $ 50.00 Tickets available from committee desk
NOTE THE IOM AGM WILL TAKE PLACE AT 1730 hrs AT THE BARBADOS YACHT CLUB’S “REGATTA MEETING ROOMâ€

Sen Peter Gilkes

Post by Sen Peter Gilkes » 01 May 2009, 06:59

The Organising Committee of the IOM BARBADOS WORLDS 2009 event are all extremely happy to report that we are now fully booked up and our Entry list is completely full.

I would like to thank each and everyone of you who have taken the time out to enter this event and to travel from near and far to make this a successful and an enjoyable event, I would like to express our sincere thank you to each and every one of you and to wish you a most pleasant and enjoyable stay on this tiny rock of ours named Barbados..

We are indeed proud to be able to host this major event and we hope most of you also take the opportunity to see something of our wonderful island in the sun before you return to your homes in the distant corners of the earth.

It is a real credit to these sailors and the show of a love for their sport, that even in these very trying times that the IOM BARBADOS WORLDS 2009 has managed to attract a full entry list, congrats to each and everyone of you that have chosen Barbados for your holiday location of choice this year.

Sen Peter Gilkes

Post by Sen Peter Gilkes » 11 May 2009, 02:48

A quick update re the status of entries for The IOM Barbados Worlds 2009 event, we have just received news of a couple cancellations and as a result of this, we now find ourselves with a couple of openings for the event, should anyone that you know be thinking of doing this event NOW will be a good time to get moving with their application etc.

Sen Peter Gilkes

Post by Sen Peter Gilkes » 26 May 2009, 12:41

I have checked and continue to check at this end and it apears that none of the countries from which competitors will be coming will require a Visa.

I will have a post done in the coming days from our Ministry of Gov't to confirm the requirement.

We may still have a open slot for a competitor if you may have been thinking about coming to Barbados for the Worlds 209 the time to get moving on that program is now.

Olivier Cohen
IOMICA Chairman
Sail number: FRA 100
Design: Venti
France

Post by Olivier Cohen » 27 May 2009, 18:40

OC44 wrote:
Sen Peter Gilkes wrote:Please be advised that further to a conversation between the Manager of Virgin Barbados Mr Colin Symes and myself, Virgin Barbados has advised Virgin UK about the special requirements for those sailors that will be travelling with their sail boxes and their hulls and they should not expect any issues at the Virgin check in counter at London Gatwick, when checking in please mention that you are part of the IOM Barbados Worlds Group to be properly treated.
Thanks a lot, I am sure that many competitors will appreciate, but to be really sure that there will be no problem, would it be possible to send competitors or NCA representatives a letter from Mr Symes that could be presented at Virgin check ?
Any possibility to get an answer ?
IOMICA Chairman

JOAN GELPI

Post by JOAN GELPI » 28 May 2009, 16:33

JOAN GELPI wrote:Dear friends, I'm a "young IOM" sailor and this is my first time competing in an international IOM event (this is not my first world championship or international race).

I've read the social schedule where there are some fantastic activities/options during the Worlds.

Due to important budget for some (I think) competitors for the Barbados Worlds and cost of entry, my question is if the organization have any thoughts about any free picnics for sailors during the races or other meals/dinner without cost.

Best regards.

I asked - one month ago- about any free meals/picnics for competitors during this event included in the US$500 entry fee.

Any posibility to get an answer?

Thank you very much in advance.
Joan Gelpí
IOMCAT-169 (Barcelona)

Sen Peter Gilkes

Post by Sen Peter Gilkes » 29 May 2009, 12:55

I trust that I have dealt with the couple outstanding matters as above.
Last edited by Sen Peter Gilkes on 29 May 2009, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.

Sen Peter Gilkes

Post by Sen Peter Gilkes » 29 May 2009, 12:56

The entry fee for the IOM Barbados World "09" entitle all competitors to :

Opening ceremony and cocktail party

Goodie bags

The Supply of a FREE SIM CARD FROM DIGICEL for the provision of Free Cell Service to the value of the card.

Daily prize for top sailor

Overall prizes for the top 10 competitors, plus specially awarded prizes to sailors

Temporary membership at the Barbados Yacht Club for the duration of the IOM event

Use of Topper and Echo 12 dinghies on lay day from the Barbados Yacht Club

Daily happy hour

Thursday evening tour to Mount Gay Visitors Centre and Happy Hour on site

Free Bottled water

Closing ceremony with prizes provided by the IOM Barbados Worlds 2009 Board.

IOM / BARBADOS WORLDS - 2009
Sailing and Social Schedule
June 19th - 27th 2009

We have finalised our package for the Yacht Club Dinner evening that will include a Steel Pan Player, Dancers, and other local cultural displays. This evening will give you a taste of Barbados from its Roots to where we are today in music and dance Caribbean style.

The other evening that we have arranged is the Brazilian evening at Paulo's Charrasco do Brasil, this was a massive hit with all those who attended last year's event and we have been asked to place this on our program for this year as it is not to be missed.

Mount Gay will be hosting a Cocktail Party on Thursday June 25th starting at 6.00 pm at their world famous visitors centre, this will also be the venue of the presentation of the prizes for the day's racing.

We are also discussing our options for the final evening's dinner at the lovely Wispers On The Bay once we have finalised our arrangements they will be posted on this site.

We look forward to welcoming each and every one of you to Barbados for this wonderful, fun filled event.

June 19th
1000 hrs - registration and equipment inspection
1700 hrs - Volunteers briefing at the Boat Yard Bay Street

June 20th
0900 hrs - Registration, equipment inspection, practice sail
1700 hrs - Competitors briefing meeting at The Boat Yard
1800 hrs - Opening Ceremony at the Boat Yard Bay Street

June 21st
0900 hrs - 1700 hrs. Racing Day 1
1700 hrs - 1800 hrs After Race happy hour and daily prize giving at the Boat Yard

June 22nd
0900 hrs - 1700 hrs Racing Day 2
1700 hrs - 1800 hrs After race happy hour and daily prize giving at the Boat Yard

June 23rd
0900 hrs - 1700 hrs Racing Day 3
1700 hrs -1800 hrs After race happy hour and daily prize giving at the Boat Yard
1800 hrs - 2200 hrs Beach buffet and Cultural Show at the Barbados Yacht Club Bay Street.
Cost: US $ 50.00 Tickets available from committee desk
NOTE: THE IOM AGM WILL TAKE PLACE AT 1730 hrs AT THE BARBADOS YACHT CLUB’S MEETING ROOM.

June 24th
Reserve day (The day may be used for racing if 12-15 completed races have not been achieved at the end of day 3)
If races have been achieved a choice of activities for the Lay Day will be as follows:
Four hour Catamaran Cruise along the West Coast snorkeling and swimming with the Turtles Cost: US $ 68.00
Island tour Cost: US $ 30.00 per hour
Island Safari Cost: US $ 53.00 (4 hours including lunch and drinks)
Laze on the beach
1900 hrs dinner including a glass of wine at “Paulo’s Churrasco DO Brasilâ€

Olivier Cohen
IOMICA Chairman
France

Post by Olivier Cohen » 04 Jun 2009, 18:30

Hello,

On Barbados application form for these worlds, there is written :
" Battery Charging facilities will be provided (110 volts Two pin American type and UK three pin 220 volts ) "

Could someone from Barbados organisation confirm that 220V will be available ?

Regards
IOMICA Chairman

Sen Peter Gilkes

Post by Sen Peter Gilkes » 04 Jun 2009, 19:44

Battery Charging facilities will be provided 110 volts Two pin American type and UK three pin 220 volts

Ken Binks

Post by Ken Binks » 14 Jun 2009, 09:02

If anyone's interested I have 10 x UK 13a 3pin to Barbados angled flat 2pin adaptors available and will be bringing them to WC.

Getting very excited :D

Regards
Ken Binks
K Bits.. Radio Sailing
Ken Binks UK

Sen Peter Gilkes

Post by Sen Peter Gilkes » 14 Jun 2009, 14:11

Hi Ken,

We too are looking forward to everyone's arrival in BGI its great to have everyone back with us this year, see you next week.

CHATIN Achille
Sail number: FRA 16
Club: CV Cazaux Lac
Design: V8

Post by CHATIN Achille » 15 Jun 2009, 16:06

YES! We are 5 guys of the French Team that arrived yesterday in Barbados!

Very good welcoming from Penny at the Airport.(Sorry, it was Jenny!)

We go now to the Yacht Club, to meet people.
Last edited by CHATIN Achille on 18 Jun 2009, 04:21, edited 1 time in total.
FRENCH NCA Officer

Sen Peter Gilkes

Post by Sen Peter Gilkes » 16 Jun 2009, 15:26

Dear Friends of IOM sailing,

The time is almost at hand for this great sailing event in Barbados the IOM Barbados Worlds 2009, we welcome each and everyone of you to our shores.

The planning is at its final stages and our guest have now started to arrive, the conditions here at this time are picture perfect with the Tradewinds in full effect with constant 15 / 18 knot Easterly to East to North East, we have setup a wonderful platform as the site for the base of the event, this platform with its elevation will give all the competitors great visual coverage of the course.

For those that are not able to attend the event you can stay tuned to www.sailbarbados.com as we will very shortly be posting the link to the site for our live video streaming of this event.

We also have some great HAPPY HOURS sponsored bu Mount Gay Rum in the plan for you.

Once again welcome to Barbados and to the Barbadian way of life and most of all please enjoy your stay with us in Barbados.

Alfonso
IOMICA Chairman

Post by Alfonso » 16 Jun 2009, 16:07

Unfortunately I have to take my computer with me and I have asked Vodafone if I will be able to use the 3G connection in BAR and the answer was NO.

Can anybody in the same situation or any local owner help me?

Bruce Andersen
USA NCA Officer
Sail number: USA 16
Club: Famous Potatoes Sailing Club
Design: Brit Pop

Post by Bruce Andersen » 16 Jun 2009, 18:29

I spoke with Penny and she told me that there was a wireless network at the boatyard for internet access - not sure if it's free.
Bruce Andersen - USA 16
No longer a USA NCA Officer, but can't change my profile!

Sen Peter Gilkes

Post by Sen Peter Gilkes » 17 Jun 2009, 05:13

There will be free wireless at The Boatyard location.

Alfonso
IOMICA Chairman

Post by Alfonso » 17 Jun 2009, 09:21

Thank you for the information. It was very helpful.

Sen Peter Gilkes

Post by Sen Peter Gilkes » 20 Jun 2009, 21:37

We are pleased to announce that our live video streaming is up and running and it can be viewed at

http://pointers.audiovideoweb.com/stcas ... 4/play.asx

Please go to this website to view the latest action from the IOM BARBADOS WORLDS 2009 being televised from the lovely Carlisle Bay Beach at The Boatyard.

Olivier Cohen
IOMICA Chairman
France

Post by Olivier Cohen » 20 Jun 2009, 21:46

Great job !

Can you put it on the control area ?

Edit : Now I am no more alone on the connexion, and it's slow, very slow..
IOMICA Chairman