removing numbers in permanent maker ink on dacron sails

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

Gilbert Louis

removing numbers in permanent maker ink on dacron sails

Post by Gilbert Louis » 02 Nov 2008, 13:13

Hi, I need to remove the permanent ink from a permanent marker on a dacron sail - has anyone done it successfully ?

I've tried nail polish remover which contains acetone but with very little effect apart from making it worse as it spread the ink. So I actually made it worse then before.

reluctant to use white spirit but would it work without damaging the actual sail ?

thanks for your help :?:
Gilbert LOUIS
www.iomireland.org
V6 - RMG - Blackmagick
IRL41 - Ireland

Steve Landeau

Post by Steve Landeau » 03 Nov 2008, 00:02

Good timing!
Just last week I videotaped the entire procedure on removing as well as installing ink type sail numbers. I am travelling home from the USA Nationals as I type, but will post the video on Youtube asap. I use acetone and lots of small cut paper towels.
Steve Landeau
AMYA 10859
IOM USA 112
Finn USA 112
Cal 25 #548

Gilbert Louis

Post by Gilbert Louis » 03 Nov 2008, 17:53

oh brilliant - thanks Steve that would be great. safe home and let me know when you've posted the video

Thx again
Gilbert LOUIS
www.iomireland.org
V6 - RMG - Blackmagick
IRL41 - Ireland

Steve Landeau

Post by Steve Landeau » 05 Nov 2008, 09:31

Steve Landeau
AMYA 10859
IOM USA 112
Finn USA 112
Cal 25 #548

Steve Landeau

Post by Steve Landeau » 05 Nov 2008, 09:34

Gilbert, I just realized you are trying to do this on Dacron. It is possible, but much more time consuming. You will not be able to get it perfect I don't think, but it will come off good enough to apply new numbers. You will need more music and more paper towels, and probably a rum or two!
Steve Landeau
AMYA 10859
IOM USA 112
Finn USA 112
Cal 25 #548

Gilbert Louis

Post by Gilbert Louis » 11 Nov 2008, 12:26

Lol - thank you Steve - excellent videos and they'll be very useful to a lot of people. One problem we have here in Ireland is that it seems very few shops if any sell acetone. I haven't been able to find any so I turned towards cheap nail polish remover which contains acetone but to the same purity.

For mylar sails I found -thanks to my wife- that using baking soda works wonders to remove sail numbers in permanent ink. I put a bit of this white power in a bowl with just a little bit of warm water to make a paste of the baking soda. then I also use kitchen towels to wipe the ink on the sails. you need to rub a little more then on your video with the acetone since this is a paste but it is safe for numbers that overlap sail seams. Once most of the ink is gone I finish off with my nail polish remover to wipe off the last bit of ink to make it really clean again. And like you I put the sail to the light to see if it is really clean.

You should try it some day and tell me what you think...

For now I'll try to be more persistent with clearing the number with the nail polish remover as I suspect it to be less effective over pure acetone.

oh and as for the rhum I think I stick to wiskey or a pint or 2 of guinness - and it looks like I'll new a few good CDs ;-)

Thanks again Steve. and good luck to get to cape town
Gilbert LOUIS
www.iomireland.org
V6 - RMG - Blackmagick
IRL41 - Ireland

Peter Allen

Post by Peter Allen » 14 Nov 2008, 13:48

I use lacquer thinners found at any paint shop,works as good as acetone.Same procedure as Steve.

jeolla

Post by jeolla » 14 Nov 2008, 19:40

If I may ad a tip concerning removing ink or similar printcolor: Signmakers have invented a technique as follows.
First you use acetone and then wet in wet you remove the mess with pure alcohol of some sort.
It works wonders .
JEOLLA

graham allen
Sail number: 88
Club: Two Islands RYC
Design: Stealth

Re: removing numbers in permanent maker ink on dacron sails

Post by graham allen » 02 Feb 2014, 15:03

Any idea where the videos have gone from You tube?

Are they available any where else please

Graham