RMG sailwinch

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

Roy

RMG sailwinch

Post by Roy » 11 Jul 2009, 16:29

I am finding it difficult to set a RMG sailwinch with self tensioning drums like poisoning the sheet lines on the drums is there any help out there please

Nigel

Post by Nigel » 11 Jul 2009, 17:17

Rob makes some great products and I have been using his winches since I startes sailing IOM back in 2000 and was actually one of the very first to use his Product in Germany.

But with the self tensioning drum my only advise is, drop them and back to a regular setup with eiter a tensioning cord or endless loop.

I have tried two self tensioing drums in two different boats and they have both failed during regattas causing a change to a standard drum with a complete re-sheeting. :(
Nigel Winkley
GER 87

Rob Guyatt

Post by Rob Guyatt » 06 Nov 2009, 08:28

It's a fair comment you make Nigel. Others have also had strife. In my observation it is mainly due to incorrect setup but not always. I make no judgement about your experience.

The big mistake often made is not leaving some spring travel after tensioning the system. This is especially so with the spiral versions.

The newer versions have been improved by making them unidirectional. This gives more spring travel and more tension.

Anyway, if they are crap then blame Craig Smith since they were his idea :twisted:

But of course for all the st drums still working well then I am happy to take responsibility for that :wink:

Rob

Nigel

Post by Nigel » 09 Nov 2009, 11:20

Hi,

Rob, it might purely by to my setup. :roll: In addition I was using the early version of the drum. I'll just blaim Craig on my problems. :wink:

I would be happy to give the updated version a try on my new Marblehead.
Nigel Winkley
GER 87

Rob Guyatt

Post by Rob Guyatt » 09 Nov 2009, 23:30

What is sorely needed on my web site is some videos on winch setup, st drum setup etc etc. Bought a fancy new digital video camera for just that purpose a couple of years ago but do you think I can find a source of "roundtoits" ??? Anyone got some spares cos I am all out? :cry:

Speaking of roundtoits, I also need one for my new MadMax. Do you reckon Jeffery is cranky with me for not getting it on the water after receiving it from him months ago? Whenever he rings now he asks for the Janitor cos that's all he reckons I am good for. :? Trouble is Michele agrees with him :(

valpro

Post by valpro » 10 Nov 2009, 10:29

OK, Ill put up my hand now. Rob, we had some problems some time ago setting up a 380 on an A. My husband spent the whole morning trying to set it up and got to the point of throwing the booklet out of the door and storming off for a smoke and a coffee. Then I tried and after several abortive attempts I joined him for a cuppa. Now, he is very deaf so you can understand that for him it was impossible to be sure of what he heard, if he heard anything at all. But that's not the case with me. Had I bothered to read the instructions fully I would have read all all of them and turned the page to do so.............
Val

Nigel

Post by Nigel » 10 Nov 2009, 17:51

Rob, perhaps I am missing something but can you specify a "roundtoit" ? :?
Nigel Winkley
GER 87

Brig North

Post by Brig North » 10 Nov 2009, 21:07

What he means is "when he gets around to it." So a "roundtoit" is a project that he just hasn't gotten to start yet due to time constraints.

You can buy a "round to it" at certain party stores. It's a wooden coin with "to it" written on it -- hence, a round to it. So when one of your friends tells you they will do some thing for you when they get "around to it," you give them the coin! Most people stop using that phrase pretty quickly thereafter!

Nigel

Post by Nigel » 11 Nov 2009, 18:07

:roll: Thanks Brig. I was just not reading right. You just have to read slowly and you come to "round to it" :oops:
Nigel Winkley
GER 87

Rob Guyatt

Re: RMG sailwinch

Post by Rob Guyatt » 28 Dec 2009, 06:55

Been very busy in my Janitorial duties so have not been surfing the forums for a while. Sorry I didn't answer your question about "roundtoits" Nigel. Brig covered it well.

Val, I'm sorry you both had roubles doing setup. I do say in the booklet to read the lot before starting. I do believe the instructions are as simple as they can be and are unambiguous. But I do accept that it can be difficult for some people to understand. Still looking for a "roundtoit" so I can do a video on setup. Mean time email me (or phone if you have a good phone plan).

I believe I have improved things with the new method in the E models. Feedback so far is good. Over 1000 units produced and no-one has thrown a brick through my window yet. :D

While here, I'll plug the Australian Nationals which will be on at the end of January. Have a look at the web site http://www.nats2010.saradioyachting.org.au/

Rob