Battery pack supplies (make your own)

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

graham allen
Sail number: 88
Club: Two Islands RYC
Design: Stealth

Battery pack supplies (make your own)

Post by graham allen » 18 Feb 2014, 16:10

Hi

Can any one in the UK suggest where I can obtain battery bars, shrink wrap and reasonably priced AA and AAA Nimh rechargeable cells so I can make my own packs please?

Thank you for any help supplied

Graham Allen

Dave Pickett
Sail number: GBR3845
Club: Eastbourne
Design: TS2 and Shiraz

Re: Battery pack supplies (make your own)

Post by Dave Pickett » 14 Aug 2014, 11:50

I use 1mm rigid copper wire as use in household electrical fixed wiring, and solder them to the cells, use as big a soldering iron as you can to make the joint quickly without overheating and damaging the cells.

www.7dayshop.com do some "good to go" cells which are well priced and self discharge much less than normal NIMH

You might also consider LiFe or Lipo cells from ebay (or hobbyking) these are prewired and really cheap, have a look at:

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/st ... Order=desc

They are also lighter than other cells of the same capacity, but at the risk of stating the blindingly obvious, MUST be charged with a lipo compatible charger. If you are curious why, search youtube for Exploding lipo and all will become clear! LiFe cells are less volatile and are also a suitable choice.