IOM set up with DX7s

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

Adam Batchelor
Sail number: 10
Club: gsc
Design: widget

IOM set up with DX7s

Post by Adam Batchelor » 18 Jul 2014, 20:51

Hi there,
I am trying to set up an IOM with a DX7s. does anyone know the best setting for this radio? I have used this radio for my Heli but not IOM.
Also can one have a dual setting for the rudder. 60% or 100% switched.

thanks
Adam.B :D

Hiljoball
Sail number: CAN 307
Club: West Coast Radio Sailing
Design: V8
Canada

Re: IOM set up with DX7s

Post by Hiljoball » 19 Jul 2014, 01:11

Hi Adam,

I don't have the Spektrum, so I cannot give specific instructions. D/R and EXPO are covered on page 17 of the manual.

It should not be hard to do. Go into the programming and scroll through the functions until you get to D/R and then select CH1 (for your rudder). With the D/R switch up - set the travel to 100 per cent. Then move the switch down and set it to 60 percent.

However, a couple of comments. If you run helicopters, you are probably in Mode 1. Boats are normally sailed in Mode 2 - with aileron CH1 as rudder and throttle CH3 as winch. I don't know if there is any issue sailing the boat with the Xmitter in Mode 1.

I tried setting up D/R much the way you suggested and had problems ( leaving the switch in the wrong position and suddenly not having enough steering input). I prefer using the EXPO instead - I set the middle to reduced rudder travel and as the stick move out, the travel increases (negative expo around the mid point). I set this for both switch up and switch down - that way it does not matter where the D/R switch is or if it gets knocked accidentally. I use -50 as this allows very fine steering adjustment upwind yet gives full travel for pre-starts and for mark roundings.

John
John Ball
CRYA #895
IOM CAN 307 V8
In my private capacity

Adam Batchelor
Sail number: 10
Club: gsc
Design: widget

Re: IOM set up with DX7s

Post by Adam Batchelor » 20 Jul 2014, 06:38

Hi there,

Thanks for the info. Seems to make sense. I know a couple of guys who have used the ail DR switch to adjust rudder control. I will have to play around a bit.

Happy sailing. :D
Adam.B