which mailsail link to mast?

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

Dave Pickett
Sail number: GBR3845
Club: Eastbourne
Design: TS2 and Shiraz

which mailsail link to mast?

Post by Dave Pickett » 15 Sep 2014, 19:28

Seems to me there are 3 options offered:

Eyelet/Luff rings
Grooved mast with sliders
Wire jack stay

Are there any real benefits with any of these or is it just personal choice?

Hiljoball
Sail number: CAN 307
Club: West Coast Radio Sailing
Design: V8
Canada

Re: which mailsail link to mast?

Post by Hiljoball » 15 Sep 2014, 22:44

Hi Dave,

If you want to use one of the lighter French masts, then the Groovey is out, leaving two options.

I think most top sailors have adopted the jack line system - there was a comment on one of the videos from the 2011 Worlds at West Kirby to this effect.

The jack line gives better control of the luff of the sail and prevents it from sliding around the mast. With rings or ties, the luff can slide around the side of the mast and when that happens, the draft of the sail changes and become much flatter as the luff curve is no longer following the shape of the mast.

So to me, no contest - jack lines.

John
John Ball
CRYA #895
IOM CAN 307 V8
In my private capacity

Dave Pickett
Sail number: GBR3845
Club: Eastbourne
Design: TS2 and Shiraz

Post by Dave Pickett » 16 Sep 2014, 21:25

prevents it from sliding around the mast. With rings or ties, the luff can slide around the side of the mast and when that happens, the draft of the sail changes and become much flatter as the luff curve is no longer following the shape of the mast.
Exactly what have noticed, thanks John

My longer term boat Shiraz will have jack lines might treat the TS2 to a new no 1 suit with jack lines. No 2 and no 3 are grooved mast/sliders and will probably leave them as is.

Lester

Post by Lester » 17 Sep 2014, 20:07

There are jack lines and there are luff wires (smile)...

http://www.onemetre.net/Build/Jackline/Jackline.htm

The mast acts as a turbulator (turbulence generator) just ahead of the sail. The interesting question is where you'd like this turbulence -- over the windward or leeward side of the sail? Allowing the sail to "slide around" allows the turbulence to flow where you might prefer it.
Lester Gilbert
http://www.onemetre.net/