websites/forums etc...

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

Tim

websites/forums etc...

Post by Tim » 12 Jan 2005, 23:06

Hi Richard,

I've added my surname (not sure this'll make what I'm saying any more relevant but happy to comply). My background sailing-wise? A bit of everything from offshores and fastnet, J24 championships,various dinghy classes and at present racing National 12s. I briefly owned the 1 metre 'Candyfloss' (can't remember the design, moderate evolution of TS2....) GBR1453 with which I joined in some club events at Bourneville over the summer of 2003 before a new job saw me move away from Birmingham and sell the boat (to pay off the overdraft...!). I'm now considering getting back into 1 metres and was initially moved to write on this forum by the absence of useful info for choosing a design for someone not well up on the latest 1 metre trends...

I did the see the news of your injury and appreciate that it hasn't allowed you to get the site how you'd like it yet, however I presume the IOMICA site is 'as intended'? While my initial comments may have been taken as provocative at least it has got the debate moving. I think the class is great, as a twentysomething I fit into an unusual demographic for a 1 metre sailor but this is precisely why the class needs good marketing. I suspect there are plenty of younger sailors (a few other N12 sailors have 1 metres which we race informally between dinghy races) who'd find the 1 metre ideal for fitting in a bit of extra sailing when it's not convenient (or too windy) to play with bigger boats. The RC laser is being marketed aggressively at people who might have (more sensibly) bought a 1metre. Every barrier (real or inferred) that is put up pushes potential owners away, head in the sand is not good attitude... A good website is a useful tool and compared to the Laser's garish monstrosity , both 1 metre sites (GBR and Int) look far more professional, it's just the balance of the content could be aimed at attracting people rather than just administrating present members.
Nigel28 wrote:Hi Guys
I feel it would be worth pointing out that this site is not a general chat site but is the forum for the International One Meter International Class Association, or put another way, the place where the present owners can discuss matters on boats, rigs, class rules etc. etc. and hopefully have some influence on the future direction. So you see the need to keep membership restricted to active sailors. :)
I hope this helps.
Hmm, part of me says I shouldn't dignify this by a response... Nigel, how exactly is a valid discussion on 1 metre websites 'general chat'. Surely how you attract newcomers is inextricably linked to the health of the class/size of event turnouts/ resale of a 1 metre. So no I don't 'see the need to keep membership restricted to active sailors. :)'... most class websites seem to manage perfectly well in keeping the discussion class related without any form of registration...

Regards

Tim

PS the info I was originally looking for was on the Ericca design, can somebody give me some background? From the photos I've seen it looks like the buoyancy is quite far back, does this make it a little 'nosehappy'?
Tim Laws

Tim

Post by Tim » 12 Jan 2005, 23:07

Whoops, that should have been the reply button.... :oops:
Tim Laws

Nigel28
Sail number: CAN 28
Design: Vancouver

Post by Nigel28 » 13 Jan 2005, 00:07

Tim
Please see my reply in the other topic.
Nigel Ashman
CAN 328

peter spence

Post by peter spence » 14 Jan 2005, 13:18

hi there Tim - if you want some info re the Ericca - email me at peter@yachtsandyachting.com

I had one a few of years ago which I raced for a couple of seasons so know the design well

cheers
peter