Robert Grubisa
Vice-chairman (Technical)
Sail number: CRO 68
Club: JK Opatija
Design: Kantun 2
Croatia

Asking for interpretation - kicking strap

Post by Robert Grubisa » 01 Mar 2012, 20:06

Asking for Interpretation of IOM Class Rules related to various arrangements of kicking straps has been received from Graham Bantock - commercial builder. Full text and diagram is here:

http://www.iomclass.org/administration/technical/
Robert Grubisa

Lester

Re: Asking for interpretation - kicking strap

Post by Lester » 02 Mar 2012, 09:50

As ever, there are two issues. One is the interpretation, and whether the Class Rules as they stand currently permit such kicking strap or vang arrangements. The second, which I guess will inevitably attract equally heated debate, is whether the Class would want to change the Class Rules so as to permit or prohibit such arrangements.

On the interpretation, my initial take is that, because the kicking strap is an item of rigging, these various arrangements are currently permitted under F.2.4 CONSTRUCTION:

(a) Fittings and/or control lines may be combined provided their function is not extended beyond what is permitted.
(b) The position of parts, and the length and tension of rigging, may be adjustable unless otherwise restricted.

On any change to the class rule which might seek to restrict them, my take is that a class should always have a couple of little places where it can breathe and develop, otherwise it stagnates and eventually dies... It is a judgement call as to where to allow little spaces for "breathing", of course!
Lester Gilbert
http://www.onemetre.net/

Robert Grubisa
Vice-chairman (Technical)
Sail number: CRO 68
Club: JK Opatija
Design: Kantun 2
Croatia

Re: Asking for interpretation - kicking strap

Post by Robert Grubisa » 02 Aug 2012, 18:00

The Interpretation 2012-IOM-1 has been issued and posted on IOM ICA website.
Robert Grubisa