Interpretations 2004-4 and 2004-5, Texalium exemption

Discuss the IOM class rules and interpretations

Moderators: Pedro Egea, jeffbyerley

Chairman
IOMICA Chairman

Interpretations 2004-4 and 2004-5, Texalium exemption

Post by Chairman » 22 Aug 2004, 22:56

The following has been posted to the IOMICA Web site "Latest News" section.
The RSD-IOMICA Sub-Committee has issued interpretation 2004-IOM-4 and interpretation 2004-IOM-5 dealing with "Texalium", the sheet control line, and the topping lift restraint. In summary:
  • A "belt" is a permitted "sheet control line".
  • A "topping lift restraint line" attached to the boom does not comply with Class Rules.
  • It is not permitted to use Texalium in an IOM hull moulding.
The IOMICA Technical Sub-Committee has requested a class rule change permitting the exemption of hulls with Texalium for international competition until March 2006. This request has been approved by the ISAF-RSD, and arrangements are being made for owners of affected hulls to register their hulls. Details will be provided by NCAs to their owners in due course. If you have any questions, please contact your NCA Representative.
Chairman
IOMICA Executive

Dick Carver

Post by Dick Carver » 25 Aug 2004, 00:35

I have a couple questions re; the Class Rules change approved by the ISAF RSD PC on 12 Aug. 2004.

I'm not sure when the first Texalium boats were sold, but I think there's a possibility that early models may of had their initial fundamental measurement before the 15th May 2003.
Are these boats (if there are any) not eligible for the exemption?
Or would their owners need to get them re- fundamentaly measured before the 1 Sept. 2004 deadline.

The rules change states that a request for a specified hull registration number shall be made to the owners hull Certification Authority, and this number shall be listed on the IOMICA web site.
Is this to be a new and separate hull registration number from the origional hull registration number issued when the boat was first registered?

The rules change states that the exemption does not apply at World and Continental class championships after 1 Mar. 2006.
What about National, Regional and local races? Is the exemption indefinite at the National, Regional & local level?

Thanks
Dick Carver

Chairman
IOMICA Chairman

Post by Chairman » 25 Aug 2004, 23:32

Dick Carver wrote:I'm not sure when the first Texalium boats were sold, but I think there's a possibility that early models may of had their initial fundamental measurement before the 15th May 2003.
Are these boats (if there are any) not eligible for the exemption?
Or would their owners need to get them re- fundamentaly measured before the 1 Sept. 2004 deadline.
Hi Dick

In my unofficial opinion, boats which had their initial fundamental measurement before 15 May 2003 are OK, because they conform to the class rules in force at that time. The class rules before 15 May 2003 did not make Texalium illegal in a hull moulding.
The rules change states that a request for a specified hull registration number shall be made to the owners hull Certification Authority, and this number shall be listed on the IOMICA web site.
Is this to be a new and separate hull registration number from the origional hull registration number issued when the boat was first registered?
The request is for a specified hull registration number "to be listed", not for a new number. It is the boat's current hull number that is required. The idea is that this boat shall be listed as exempt, and the owner needs to apply to have his boat listed in this way. No new numbers are to be issued (and, no re-measurement is required).
The rules change states that the exemption does not apply at World and Continental class championships after 1 Mar. 2006.
What about National, Regional and local races? Is the exemption indefinite at the National, Regional & local level?
Yes, as far as I understand this, the exemption remains valid for non-international events.

[26 Aug 2004 Edits for spelling and clarification.]
Chairman
IOMICA Executive