I can't understand the rules!

Discuss the IOM class rules and interpretations

Moderators: Pedro Egea, jeffbyerley

Jamestj

I can't understand the rules!

Post by Jamestj » 26 Jan 2005, 23:43

I'm new to IOM and trying to build a boat. Having trouble understanding the rules, not use to terminology. Could someone explain the difference between -

The lower point of a mast, the heel point and the bottom end.
A mast and a spar,
A checkstay and a shroud,
A jackstay and a mast jack.
Is a rigging point a hound, a chain plate or both?
Are all rigid bits sticking out of a mast called spars?
Is a stay always part of the standing rigging?
Is a halyard always part of the running rigging?
Is any rope or wire connected to a sail considered to be running rigging?
Why would a small yacht need a topping lift?
How do you check the wall thickness of an aluminium mast near the middle length of the mast?

As a newcommer the terminology is frightening. I will have to draw a big diagram to remind be of this new vocabularly!

awallin

Post by awallin » 27 Jan 2005, 07:41

start with reading the Equipment Rules of Sailing. The current version is 2005-2008, but our 2003 IOM Class Rules are to be read with the 2001-2004 ERS, available at:
www.sailing.org (Rules / Equipment Rules of Sailing / ERS 2001-2004)

Terms in bold in the IOM Class Rule are defined in the ERS.
----------------
Anders Wallin

Bruce Andersen
USA NCA Officer
Sail number: USA 16
Club: Famous Potatoes Sailing Club
Design: Brit Pop

Post by Bruce Andersen » 28 Jan 2005, 04:12

Much sailing nomenclature is arcane and not very obvious. My suggestion is a beginner sailing book that defines the terms with pictures. Hope that's not too insulting, but is fast and easy.

Jamestj

Post by Jamestj » 28 Jan 2005, 12:55

Many thanks for the help, even the Equipment Rules has pictures which are worth a thousand words.

Not 'all at sea' anymore

Arvin S.

Sailing Terms

Post by Arvin S. » 07 Feb 2005, 12:00

James,

I say, keep at it, the recommendations of the other sailors are sound, the best way to learn is to read up and read up and of course actually go out and see for yourself. I have been sailing for quite some time now, both real boats and RC boats and I can only answer half or less of your questions. The problem is that sailing terms can vary from one place to the other and other terms can be used for a different thing altogether. :(

I will stick my neck out and try to answer some of your questions but don't take them to be 100% correct though. I hope you forgive me though when I say that I think some of your questions you really don't need to know anyway :) I don't and still get to sail no problem :) hehehe! Also please do understand also that some of these terms are not really necessary for RC models.

1. Checkstay and a Shroud- A shroud is attached to the mast as a standing rigging, usually with spreaders (but sometimes not). It helps to keep the mast upright and to prevent leeward sag. Checkstays are like running backstays (new word again) they are only sometimes needed, often to prevent mast pumping, but also sometimes used for trimming, a skipper once said that his checkstays are only used in strong winds to help the mast. Checkstays are not necessary on RC models, if you do install them it would be quite complicated I imagine, Shrouds are standard though.

2. A stay is something that helps the mast "stay" in place. I think yes a stay is always considered "standing rigging".

3. A halyard is a rope that pulls the sails up, basic idea is if it goes up and down it is usually a haylard, if it goes front to back or side to side it's a sheet. yes I think they are always considered "running rigging".

4. Yes almost all ropes/wires attached to a sail is probably considered running rigging, except probably the Forestay which is a standing rigging but your jib is attached to it.

5. I know of two reasons to use a topping lift, one is to keep the boom up when moored, and the other is to help create shape specially in light winds like say in a boat with a heavy boom or in our model case jib boom topper.

TTFN
Arvin

Muzza

Post by Muzza » 07 Feb 2005, 22:01

Just to add to Arvin's comments, but in this context (IOM specific):-

Checkstays are the sidestays joining the mast a short distance above the deck. They are optional IF the boat does not use a mast ram - or "mast strut" as the rules call it (which most IOMs do use). For an example of an IOM with checkstays, do a search for the Blowfly online.

The topping lift in this context is for the headsail boom. It limits the downward sheeting of the boom, and therefore limits the extent to which the leach can be closed by sheet load or boom weight. It therefore is an important part of the control of the jib shape.

I hope this helps.

Cheers.
Murray Buckman
USA 274

Jamestj

Post by Jamestj » 07 Feb 2005, 22:02

Hi Arvin
Thanks for the reply. It seems that every sport has its own vocabulary to keep outsiders guessing. You would have thought that sheets were sails but they are in fact ropes!

Gradually getting my hang of the lingo!

James