Materials rule (D2.1)

Discuss the IOM class rules and interpretations

Moderators: Pedro Egea, jeffbyerley

Marko Majic

Materials rule (D2.1)

Post by Marko Majic » 21 Jul 2006, 18:15

I can see that in the other thread in "Class Association and Class Management" there was/is a proposal dealing with the Texalium boats problem that is being debated...

Out of curiosity - has there been any discussions in the Exec about merits of reverting to the 2002 version of the D.2.1?

In addition to making all the Tex boats legal (again) without mentioning any trade names or specific products in the CRs, it would also solve a lot of nagging issues over whether and when you are allowed to mix additives/thickeners and stuff like that in your layup. The current answer (under 03 rules), I believe, is that you are NOT - unless you're gluing pieces or filling/fairing - which absolutely makes no sense and makes things more difficult for builders - laying up sharp angles (like on a deck) without adding some kind of magic powder to the resin is just plain painful (and means that I have to do more filling/fairing afterwards).

The only possible advantage of 2003 version of D.2.1 is that it protects against some unknown method of combining glass, metal, wood and other permitted materials into a "better (composite) mousetrap" - which is extremely unlikely (it hasn't happened over the 30+ years) especially in light of the fact that research in composite materials is virtually all towards developing new types of fibres rather than augmenting glass with other materials for better properties (Tex being a notable - but "appearance only" - exception).

Marko
Marko Majic
CAN 16