THE BARBADOS MOUNTGAY/BOATYARD IOM REGATTA 2009 10-14th JUNE

Discuss class championship regulations, sailing instructions, umpiring, observing, scoring software, fleet racing systems, forthcoming international events, etc

Moderator: Rob Walsh

Peter Allen

THE BARBADOS MOUNTGAY/BOATYARD IOM REGATTA 2009 10-14th JUNE

Post by Peter Allen » 14 Jul 2008, 16:20

THE MOUNT GAY/BOATYARD IOM REGATTA 2008 – report by Robert Grubisa

1. Location of Barbados and how to get there?

Barbados is an island in Lesser Antilles (West Indies) situated just east of the Caribbean Sea. It was a British colony till 1966. Since that year it has been an independent state and UN member. Barbados total land area is about 431 square kilometres (same as the island of Krk) and it has a population of about 279,000, which makes it the smallest member of IOM ICA.

Barbados is a coral island unlike neighbouring volcanic islands.

Inhabitants are Barbadians (also known colloquially as Bajans) who call their island “Rockâ€
Last edited by Peter Allen on 24 Jul 2008, 19:18, edited 2 times in total.

Peter Allen

THE MOUNT GAY / BOATYARD REGATTA 2009

Post by Peter Allen » 14 Jul 2008, 16:21

Dear Peter,

Over a week has flown by since we got back safely.

I think jet lag is beginning to show at last.

On return we got stuck into work and we have been getting more and more tired as the days go by!

However we have not forgotten the wonderful time we had with you and the other sailors in Barbados.

To visit the Caribbean has been a new experience for Lorna and myself and it was a very pleasant way to make that introduction.

We appreciate the great care you, and the rest of the sailing team, took of us and the other visitors over the week.

It must have been very wearing for you all and you did it so graciously.

We hope you enjoyed it as much as we did and are inspired to do it again.

Please pass on our thanks to the other helpers when you have the opportunity.

On a technical level I think the race venues were both excellent.

The race admin team were also excellent.

The only area that could be improved, in my opinion, would be observing and umpiring/judging.

I know this is a tricky area but it's possible you could get more umpires next time now that Steve enjoyed his time with you.

I am sure the sailors would respond positively and the quality of sailing would only improve. But please do not take this as a criticism of the race or the racing - it is not.

Could you forward me the text that Marko and Robert wrote please? I'd like to pass that on to Chris Jackson for possible inclusion in Marine Modeling. Somehow it got lost....

Take care,

Graham

--
Graham & Lorna Bantock
SAILSetc

Peter Allen

Post by Peter Allen » 14 Jul 2008, 16:23

Dear Peter

I just wanted to thank you personally for the huge amount of time and effort that you put in to the Mount Gay Regatta.

It was a really enjoyable time during which we were thoroughly spoilt.

It was great to have some time away and relax.

I have some great memories of our holiday and hope to return to visit again.

God bless

Lorna

Peter Allen

Post by Peter Allen » 14 Jul 2008, 16:25

Dear Peter,

Since returning from your beautiful island and the most unique IOM regatta in the world my feet haven't touched the water!

Susie and I would like to thank you, Shane and ALL the crew for your hospitality.

From the moment we arrived to the last goodbye's nothing was too much trouble.

You are to be congratulated for the magnificent effort in just 6 weeks for putting on a Regatta which IS unique for its two part format.

The pond sailing was just amazing for the smooth wind pressure which undulated rather than gusting.

The small lake never allowing waves to develop gave the most exciting number 2 rig sailing I have experienced in ten years.

Moving to the Ocean brought a new set of conditions and trim to conquer. Not least the current, waves and moving 'platform' from which to sail.

The Buccaneer 60' catamaran was just perfect as a base!

Could this be the first regatta where an IOM sailor felt seasick!!!! Plenty of Mount Gay, excellent food from the Boatyard and a parrot whistling at the girls kept all queasy thoughts at bay.

On a social note the Brazilian night was excellent, the catamaran trip swimming with the turtles and finishing up at the Plantation night spot just added to the most perfect week.

Now add the Hospitality of Andrew and Graham at the 'Little Good Harbour' complex along with the excellent award winning ‘Fish Pot'
Restaurant our trip to Barbados was quite simply the best.

The island, the people, their warmth, the history, the beaches the culture, not only is the regatta unique your beautiful island is as well.

Are we coming back? You bet and with some more top skippers for next year.

Our sincere thanks to Mount Gay, The Boatyard, Little Good Harbour and all the sponsors for their support.

Finally a big big thank you to Peter Gilkes and Shane Atwell for making our visit Just Great.

Ken & Susie Binks UK

Peter Allen

Post by Peter Allen » 14 Jul 2008, 16:25

Hi Peter,

Back at work now and it already seems like it was sooooo long ago that I was on your beautiful island (when is the next regatta? ).

Just wanted to send a quick e-mail on behalf of Lori and myself to express our deepest gratitude to you, Shane, Penny, Andrew, Andrew, Garth, Billy, Tony, Rabbit and all of the locals who pulled together to make this regatta such an unforgettable experience. I’ve had so much boat trouble that this was probably my worst performance in the last 5 years at least – but STILL everything was so awesome that I still would have came (even if I knew in advance that my boat will break)! The generosity, good will and hospitality of everyone there coupled with some of the best scenery you can see just about anywhere in the world is why both Lori and I will remember this regatta for a long, long time to come.

Peter Van Rossem was just passing through town and stopped by and I was showing him a few pictures and telling him some of what was going on… Hard to describe it if you weren’t there but I’m pretty sure that he will make an extra effort to try to make it over next year. For my part, I will make sure that, for next year, my gear is better prepared to cope with harsh (but excellent!) sailing conditions in Barbados.

All the best!

Cheers,

Marko

Peter Allen

Post by Peter Allen » 14 Jul 2008, 16:26

Hi there Peter,

Glad to hear that the Model Boat Sailors had a good time and that we were able to assist in making their stay and the event come to be a reality .

Hopefully with their enthusiasm and in telling others about the Mount Gay regatta - that you will have more persons join in next year.

Best Regards - Graham Dear
Little Good Harbour

Peter Allen

Post by Peter Allen » 14 Jul 2008, 16:27

Peter,

Looks like the support team made a great impression and the event was run professionally.

Good going. Congratulations

Dick

Peter Allen

Post by Peter Allen » 15 Jul 2008, 15:55

Hi Peter,

- No Moments of Truth---

It has been several weeks since I have had a fantastic time at the Mount Gay /Boatyard regatta.
However, attending the regatta was a must for me although there were many issues that would have made me abort the trip. Evidence of that was seen with the problems I experienced equipment

I came because of Peter (rabbit) Allen, not over looking Shane , Doc and you-self. It was my way of showing how much we appreciate the length by which you all have supported events here in the US. I am happy to say that you all has raised the bar on hosting a regatta by involving Penny and others from the big boat fleet, sponsorship, venue design and management. Last but not least making the event a team effort.

Its been a long time since I visited Barbados even though I have many friends and family on the Island . Thanks, to Tony for guiding me around the Island which enabled me to find my way around to visit my family. I will be back in November when many of them return from off island vacations.

I was paticular pleased to meet Graham and Lorna, Ken Binks and his wife, and Robert and his wife. I especially enjoyed his (reversed English moments-Ha! Ha!). The tips I got from Graham are already allowing me to help some of the guys at the club on the fine points of tuning his designs. I am also glad that I was able to thank Ken in person for helping friend Janoit La Marie with one of his boats in the UK.

Then there were Steve , Jeff , Freddie, Dane, Tony and Fillipo . Its always good times hanging with those guys swapping stories and enjoying the fantastic night live, food and other entertainment on the island.

Peter G, your marketing and communication , hospitality skills are commendable. Shane and Peter Rabbit, thanks for making the Barbados IOM sailing vacation a must attend event

Clem Grosvenor
Forida- SPMYC

Peter Allen

Post by Peter Allen » 23 Jul 2008, 05:12

Friends of IOM racing the organisers of the Barbados MOUNT GAY / BOATYARD IOM REGATTA 2009 will be releasing the date of next years event over this coming weekend, we have listened to all you have had to say and we have taken it into consideration and have made some changes to our timing of our event, so as to please those that have said to us hold it earlier and we will come, tell you what we are holding it earlier and you better book to come, more on that over the weekend.

Peter Allen

Post by Peter Allen » 24 Jul 2008, 19:17

We have decided and set our dates for THE BARBADOS MOUNT GAY / BOATYARD IOM REGATTA 2009 to run from the 10th thru to the 14th June.

We await your comments, but as requested by yourself that we move our dates forward to an earlier date, we have taken heed of your suggestions and we have made the change to as an early a date that we can manage.

We eagerly await your comments and more importantly you positive confirmation of your arrival and your intention to attend this great sporting event.

For those that attended our most recent event can attest to the professional manner that event was arranged and to the VIP treatment once arriving in Barbados, I can inform you that all of what was done this year will be done next year in an even larger scale.

We intend to make the next event a bigger better and greater event.