Continental Championships

Discuss class championship regulations, sailing instructions, umpiring, observing, scoring software, fleet racing systems, forthcoming international events, etc

Moderator: Rob Walsh

Lester

Continental Championships

Post by Lester » 15 Sep 2008, 22:39

Bruce has posted this message in a forum where I am unable to reply. I've left him a private message, but have not heard back. So, a couple of his points need public correction.

When IOMICA was first set up and was seeking recognition from RSD, it simply adopted all RSD regulations dealing with championships. The original RSD regulation noted that "European" was a Continental championship which was already approved, and so this was transferred into IOMICA regulations. Nothing particularly to do with me.

Bruce then goes on to claim that I "put up the most opposition last time we raised the issue". I don't know who the "we" is, and where this was "raised", but my recollection is that I have always been entirely *supportive* of Continental championships other than European ones. In particular, while Chairman of IOMICA I recall encouraging USA and associated countries in the Americas and Carribean to put togther a concrete proposal. Of course, I may be mis-remembering, and if so I trust Bruce can quote contextualised and verifiable passages from Exec deliberations that I put up the most opposition (if so, who else showed lesser opposition?).

==================
Bruce Andersen
Vice-chairman (Events)
Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:47 pm Post subject:

not wanting to sound too paranoid, but I suspect that Lester had something to do with not sanctioning championship races in places other than Europe - ISAF allows it, and he put up the most opposition last time we raised the issue.
==================
Lester Gilbert
http://www.onemetre.net/