2013 World Championships

Discuss class championship regulations, sailing instructions, umpiring, observing, scoring software, fleet racing systems, forthcoming international events, etc

Moderator: Rob Walsh

Olivier Cohen
IOMICA Chairman
Sail number: FRA 100
Design: Venti
France

2013 World Championships

Post by Olivier Cohen » 28 Nov 2011, 09:22

Germany has sent an application.

Planned location will be Warnemünde, which is near by the East See.
IOMICA Chairman

Nigel

Re: 2013 World Championships

Post by Nigel » 30 Nov 2011, 22:06

East See is actually a less than optimum translation for Baltic :wink:
Nigel Winkley
GER 87

Olivier Cohen
IOMICA Chairman
France

Post by Olivier Cohen » 30 Nov 2011, 22:11

Thanks Nigel.
I got a new information, planned location is in fact "Unterwarnow im Stadthafen Rostock" (try with google), so Rostock historical harbour, 15km from Travelmunde and Baltic sea.
IOMICA Chairman

Olivier Cohen
IOMICA Chairman
France

Post by Olivier Cohen » 20 Dec 2011, 21:30

Still waiting official application (IOMICA questionnaire) from GER.

We have received a complete application from Israel. http://www.iomclass.org/2011/12/20/isra ... mpionship/
IOMICA Chairman

Stephan Cohen
Sail number: USA 28
Design: Pikanto

Post by Stephan Cohen » 01 Jan 2012, 21:26

Although I have no say on the matter I would much prefer Israel to host the 2013 worlds. It is best to alternate venue styles. From Barbedos to West Kirby and back to the warmth of Israel. I can't think of a better place to compete, spent time with fellow IOM skipper and soak in thousands of years of history. Christians, Jews and Muslim all have their roots in Israel. Not to mention that I am sure the ISR team will make the World Champiomship a memorable experience.
It is time to give them a chance to show off their hospitality and warmth. Yes it may be a little farther to travel for all of us but I know they will make some financial concessions ( low entry fees etc...) to help on the financial end.
USA 28

Robert Matulja
Sail number: CRO 33
Club: JK Opatija, Croatia
Croatia

Post by Robert Matulja » 10 Jan 2012, 18:29

Hi all

It seems that we have only one valid bid for IOM Worlds 2013. Israel NCA presented their bid for organizing the Championship while there is no such official bid from Germany. Is there any deadline for submission of bids from any NCA? If an NCA is not able to provide correct information how we may expect that they will properly organize to IOM event ?!

Israel offered very reduced entry fee which must be properly validated these days. My proposal for IOM ICA is to give organization of IOM Worlds 2013 to the Israel NCA. Suggestion for Israel NCA is to organize an international event such as Open Israeli IOM Championship or similar to test the site and whole organization during 2012 or 2013 in order to have everything prepared for Worlds.

Regards

Robert Matulja
CRO 33

Jeff Kay
IRL NCA Officer

Post by Jeff Kay » 10 Jan 2012, 23:51

Are there any other bidders ? It might be good to go back to the Southern Hemisphere again or indeed South or North America ??

Brad Gibson

Post by Brad Gibson » 10 Jan 2012, 23:52

Robert Matulja wrote:Israel offered very reduced entry fee which must be properly validated these days
Hi Robert,
Do you have a copy of the proposal/bid for other skippers to see?

Cheers
Brad

Olivier Cohen
IOMICA Chairman
France

Post by Olivier Cohen » 11 Jan 2012, 11:16

Brad Gibson wrote:
Robert Matulja wrote:Israel offered very reduced entry fee which must be properly validated these days
Hi Robert,
Do you have a copy of the proposal/bid for other skippers to see?

Cheers
Brad
Brad, that document will be available after IOMICA has decided, so certainly end of January.
FYI entry fee proposed by ISR is 180 €.
IOMICA Chairman

RoyL

Post by RoyL » 11 Jan 2012, 22:01

If informed input from the class members is desired, it would seem valuable to make the different 2013 bids available for everyone to see and comment on before a decision is made rather than after...

Oren Boker
Sail number: ISR 55

Post by Oren Boker » 12 Jan 2012, 20:52

We were told by VP events that the dead line for handing a bid is 1.1.2012
We have handed a complete bid about 2 weeks before that.
our bid have a reduced entree fee of only 180 Euro
the acomodation in Israel is lower then what North Europe. and we also have a lot to offer in terms of weather, fantastic sailing venue, and tourism.
We have bidded fot the 2012 Eropian and didnt get it.
we really like to host IOM skippers for the 2013
the hosting club is very professional and was hosting many international events. we hope to have the oportinity to host IOM event.

Funci
Sail number: CRO 711
Club: JK Val, Šibenik
Design: K2
Croatia

Post by Funci » 12 Jan 2012, 21:38

I am thinking that is good idea to go in Israel because last WC was in Europe and now is turn to go on some other continent.
Also if their bid is only valid one than that is automaticly decided!
Hrvoje Duvančić
CRO 71
www.regate.com.hr

Betty Smalling
Sail number: 55
Club: Manchester
Design: Obsession

Post by Betty Smalling » 13 Jan 2012, 14:17

Cheap flights, cheap accomodation, reduced entry fee, great sight seeing.............all good additions and thats all.

The most important factor by a million miles is the one thing all the skippers go to do and that is to sail. The water,wind and courses are the only factors the skippers remember. Look back at previous events and listen to what the skippers remember, the sailing. Choose the best sailing water is the only option.

I am sure such experienced skippers as Olivier, Jeff and Martin know this anyway and it is up to them.

Oren Boker

Post by Oren Boker » 17 Jan 2012, 18:31

Betty

Thanks for your support, you are correct, logistic is important but nothing is more important than the sailing conditions. We offer grate sailing venue, steady onshore wind, all wind strength are expected, professional race committee.
If the decision is taken based only on sailing condition than we should be the WC hosts, last but not least – hospitality is also important – we are very eager to show you our hospitality here, and here is my first gesture: should you come you will keep your number and I will change to 155.
:P

Betty Smalling

Post by Betty Smalling » 18 Jan 2012, 03:26

Oren,

i appreciate your offer to add a prefix but you are assuming you will gain a place to sail at the 2013 World Championships.

Unlike your goodself, i know Betty Smalling will not be competing. Have you seen how tough the fleet is in the UK.

Good luck with the bidding.

Betty Smalling

Post by Betty Smalling » 19 Jan 2012, 05:18

Olivier,

as you have posted the intended entry fee Isreal would charge i think it only fair you do the same for the German bid. Also knowing just the entry fee is pretty useless, we need to know if this is all inclusive or room only, what do we get for our hard earned cash..

In actual fact why not just post the bids so everyone can have a gander and help you and the committee in your difficult decision making. Making a decision then publishing the bids is completely the wrong way around and leaves you wide open.You cannot close the stable door once the horse has bolted.

Mrs.Betty Smalling

Matteo Longhi
Sail number: ITA 24
Club: LNI Mandello del Lario
Design: BritPop
Italy

Post by Matteo Longhi » 20 Jan 2012, 15:51

Hi all,

Skippers from Israel are doing a lot to promote iom in their country and they are travelling a lot to Europe to take part to regattas and every time they bring with them new happy skippers. Only this could be a reason to thank them with a prize. And witch better prize than a WC?
Beside this personal evaluation, I think that it is very important that a WC would be hosted in the location with the better wind conditions and the better logistic.

Regards

Matteo Longhi

Betty Smalling

Post by Betty Smalling » 21 Jan 2012, 13:30

Reading the posts in this thread, there seems to be a little upset over the deadline for submitting a bid.

It seems Isreal have been told all bids have to be submitted by 1-1-2012 but Germany have been told a later date therefore giving them an unfair advantage in the bidding process.

Could somebody from IOMICA please comment on this before it escalates.

Oren Boker

Post by Oren Boker » 21 Jan 2012, 14:21

Dearest Betty
I think you got the whole concept wrong. Dead line date was publicly posted by Vp event in the iomica web site, have a look here: http://www.iomclass.org/page/2/

Why do you think GER is working with other time frame then all other NCAs that potentially were given the same information and the same equel oortunitirs to bid.

I hope you are wrong

ISR 55

Zvonko
Sail number: CRO 35
Design: K2
Croatia

Post by Zvonko » 21 Jan 2012, 15:48

Hi all
RoyL wrote:If informed input from the class members is desired, it would seem valuable to make the different 2013 bids available for everyone to see and comment on before a decision is made rather than after...
Betty Smalling wrote:In actual fact why not just post the bids so everyone can have a gander and help you and the committee in your difficult decision making. Making a decision then publishing the bids is completely the wrong way around and leaves you wide open.You cannot close the stable door once the horse has bolted.

I agree with those two and hope that in the future bids will be open for every one to see as soon as they come so may be we can help with good suggestion, also if it is not against any rule I would like to see booth bids now so we can continue discussion which is in our opinion a better bid.

Regarding the German bid and did it came on time, I would expect that some one from Iomica officials will let us know wot is happening.

Regards
Zvonko Jelacic

Hiljoball
Sail number: CAN 307
Club: West Coast Radio Sailing
Design: V8
Canada

Post by Hiljoball » 21 Jan 2012, 18:53

My view is that we elect an executive to run the association. We delegate to them the responsibility to review bids and make these decisions.

The cost of the entry fee is only a small part of the evaluation of a bid. The entry fee is a small part of the total cost of entering a World Championship. The travel and accommodation costs are by far the biggest component to attend such an event.

One important aspect of selecting an event is to move it around the world. If an application from Germany (or any other western European country) were equal to the one from Israel, or from a location on another continent, the one further away from the last Worlds should receive a strong bias. The Worlds have been in Western Europe frequently over the past few years. It is time to give another region a chance at hosting.

John
John Ball
CRYA #895
IOM CAN 307 V8
In my private capacity

Olivier Cohen
IOMICA Chairman
France

Post by Olivier Cohen » 21 Jan 2012, 18:58

Entry fee for germany is 350 €, but it means nothing if you don't know what is included, as for ISR.
IOMICA Events SC is working on the subject with both candidate organisers.

Regarding bid posting, you already now the places possible, let us check all the rest.

Aren't you happy with our last decisions on events ?

By the way, happy new year to all IOM owners !
IOMICA Chairman

RoyL

Post by RoyL » 22 Jan 2012, 21:04

I always thought that keeping everyone informed and soliciting feedback from members on important decisions was part of the role of an organization's leadership. Maybe it is a little messy and time consuming and sometimes people might even disagree with you or tell you things that you don't want to hear, but in the end, I think it leads to better decisions and a healthier organization.

Barry Fox CAN262
Sail number: CAN 46
Club: VMSS
Design: V8

Post by Barry Fox CAN262 » 23 Jan 2012, 02:49

Always??? Really???

Some posting leading up to awarding the 2009 WC to Barbados

Nov 11/08 from Bruce Anderson - VC Events
"Presently, the Exec and Events are considering applications from ESP and BAR, both of which propose holding the 2009 WC'c in June of 2009."

Some general information as has been recently shared. And that resulted in a few "I like place A (or B) because . . . " responses.

Nov 27/08 From Bruce Anderson - VC Events
"We have a self imposed deadline of the beginning of December, but it's not written in stone. Both ESP and BAR have strong applications and EXEC and the committee members are trying to weigh all facets of both locations. We are trying to work as fast as possible so folks can start planning, and the organizers from both ESP and BAR have been very cooperative in providing answers to questions that arise."

Pretty clearly points out that any decision is going to come from a joint agreement of the Exec of the day and the Events SC. As has been the case in the past as well as far as I can see.

Nov 28/08 From Roy Langbord - VC Technical
"Thanks for your enthusiasm Steve. In fairness, let me express a certainty that a World Championship in Spain would also be a great experience.

I'm sure all of us would also like to thank both Barbados and Spain for coming forward and offering to host the IOM Worlds.

Be assured that the review process is comprehensive and the principal decision criteria will be what is best for our class."

So out of that I don't see where there is any less, and maybe actually more, information being shared ahead of a decision for 2013. I don't believe there have been any changes in process defined or even proposed to be added to what has generally gone on before. We elect people to do these tasks. Maybe they should be left to do it. The review process today is not markedly different from the one employed in 2008.

As Roy pointed out in his posting quoted above, we should all want to thank both ISR and GER for stepping up and giving us the chance to have a choice of venue as opposed to the times where we have had to go hat in hand to find someone to be the host.

The foregoing is not an official position statement from the ICA Executive.
Barry Fox
CAN 46
Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

RoyL

Post by RoyL » 23 Jan 2012, 05:01

Yes, I really have always believed that more information available to more people is the best course. Without getting into the details of what happened in 2008, I was of the opinion then as I am now, that as much information as possible should be shared with the class membership. In hindsight, in fact, if there had been more open discussions in 2008, I think some issues with the event that year might have been avoided.

For example. today I think it might be useful to try to get a sense from the membership of their comfort level in traveling to an event in Israel in light of the present political situation in the mideast. Or maybe it might be good to find out what is the entry fee and event cost that are currently acceptable to the membership in light of the worldwide economic contraction.

William Neish
Sail number: CAN 202
Club: WCMYA
Design: Tick Tock

Post by William Neish » 24 Jan 2012, 08:25

So how do the crime stats. in Isael compare with , say. New York, or Vancouver ?

Betty Smalling

Post by Betty Smalling » 24 Jan 2012, 12:33

Not sure what the crime stats have to do with holding a World Championship, nobody asked the question when going to West Kirby or Marseille or indeed Germany.

I flew into Tel Aviv last year and felt very secure unlike Manchester where i had my handbag snatched, purse,lipstick,everything gone,what a nightmare.

RoyL

Post by RoyL » 24 Jan 2012, 17:27

According to 2011 statistics the crime rate in New York City (my home) has been declining for the last 15 years. It is currently ranked the 6th safest city in the United States and the safest large city. Murder rate is currently the lowest it has been since statistics were first kept in 1962.

Currently, Vancouver, and other western Canada cities have the highest levels of violence in Canada. Crime is significantly lower in Toronto and Montreal. Overall, however, crime rates in Canada are lower than in the U.S.

In 2011 the number of rocket and mortar attacks against Israel was 680.

There are also currently, no travel advisories concerning visiting in the United States or Canada.

Finally, Betty, truly sorry about what happened to you in Manchester. I've heard a few stories lately about others who also had a bad time there over the holiday season. Come and sail with us in Central Park NYC and we promise you a safe and enjoyable time and truly frustrating winds.

Stephan Cohen
Sail number: USA 28

Post by Stephan Cohen » 25 Jan 2012, 19:22

Is this what it's all about ? The reason Israel is not being seriously considered is because of geopolitics and terrorism? I believe the risks in Tel Aviv are minimal, probably no greater than being mugged in Paris or Detroit. Just as Roy said, New York is a very safe and wonderful city, and yet it was the victim of a truly horrible event on 9-11 that killed 3000. Doesn't mean we should be afraid to visit New York. I was in London at the time of the subway bombing, and I often go to the peaceful island of Bali, site where hundreds were killed in terror attacks. Doesn't make London or Bali destinations we should avoid. Terrorists attack, people die, it is tragic. Doesn't make Tel Aviv a truly dangerous place. And Germany has had its share of terrorism as well. That said, I don't have a death wish, ISR is certainly a higher risk than, let's say, Switzerland. Maybe we should host the Worlds is Switzerland. Pretty safe there. Marcus (SUI 20) do you want to set that up for us ? :)

Yes, some European competitors could conveniently drive their cars to Germany and that is a consideration but does that makes it a better site for the Worlds ?

Let's pick the better place to sail and not discount ISR on the count of fear or prejudice.
USA 28

Mr Graham Elliott
Sail number: 09
Club: Birkenhead
Design: britpop

Post by Mr Graham Elliott » 25 Jan 2012, 20:35

John Ball wrote. 'The entry fee is a small part of the total cost of entering a World Champioship'

Hi John, this was indeed very true a long time ago but unfortunately not anymore. I cannot remember the exact entry fees in the early 90's but am pretty sure they were around £100, certainly no where near the £320 (350E).
I understand that it all depends on where the event is held as to what % cost the entry fee is, indeed West Kirby 2011, the entry fee was 100% cost of the entire event for me as i had no travel or accomodation costs.

We absolutely try our best as competitors to keep the overall costs to a minimum. I have been in situations where there are 4 of us staying in a 1 bed apartment rotating the bedroom each night (Malta).Travelling 26hrs in a car with 3 of us and 3 boats (Croatia). Sleeping in 'A' rig RM rig bag under the car, rig was more important, it stayed in the car (Paris 98). Going to the supermarket and making a meal for 13 instead of eating and drinking out, Derek actually made the meal i just charged his Gin and Tonic, it was like the last supper (Dubrovenic). Staying in bunk beds in dormatory of YMCA (Vancouver)

I guess my point is that it is now far too expensive and we are not too far from the first 500E race, we have all come to expect far too much from the hosts and maybe it is time to get back to basics. I understand that one of the main costs is the umpires and unless you can persuade all your members to give their air miles to fly them in this is an unavoidable cost (Vancouver).

The question 'How much is it?' was never heard in the past, now it is the 1st question to be heard.

Graham Elliott