Radio Sailing an Olympic Sport??

Discuss class championship regulations, sailing instructions, umpiring, observing, scoring software, fleet racing systems, forthcoming international events, etc

Moderator: Rob Walsh

John Taylor

Radio Sailing an Olympic Sport??

Post by John Taylor » 12 Aug 2012, 21:56

Like for most of us I have been engrossed in the London Olympics over the last two weeks. I have taken an interest in all the sports the Olympics have had to offer and became educated with some of the sports personalities involved, due to the media exposure that’s been generated through the games. When I see some of the more obscure sports such as shooting, table tennis and dressage where endurance and fitness are not the primary elements, but skills such as patience and accuracy form the principles of success, I think to myself why is Radio Sailing not included within the Olympics?

It maybe that we have tried and failed in the past but we continue to have World and European Championships in most classes within Radio Sailing, so surely we should look at trying to promote this sport, in the direction and the aim of Radio Sailing being involved within the Olympic Games of the future.

I am sure there would be monumental obstacles to overcome in the challenges to have Radio Sailing included within the games, but surely to try would only be a positive step forward in the development of our sport, interest or hobby depending on what your out look is on Radio Sailing.

My after thought once Radio Sailing is hopefully achieved within the games, would be of what class of R/C yacht should be used?

Studying some of the Olympic sailing over this week, I don’t think I’ve seen a class sailed where one individual yacht has different technology compared to another. Therefore, I’m assuming the classes sailed within the Olympics are all one designs where each yacht is built to the same specifications as the other. Therefore, if Radio Sailing in the future were to be included in the Olympics, would we use a recognised class that we already employ but use one particular design of yacht built to the same specifications, or produce under the guidance of the Olympic Sailing Authority a Radio Sailing Olympic R/C Class?

Now please don’t think this is a thread for ridiculous ideas of designing a new class of yacht. We have enough classes already, some of which are poorly attended year in year out. This thread is all about looking at the possibilities of Radio Sailing being involved in future Olympic Games!!!

My personal opinion is that Radio Sailing would fit into the same category of Olympic Sports such as Dressage, Table Tennis and Shooting, all of which have had fantastic media exposure and from that have now encouraged a new interest within the public to get involved within their chosen sports. So surely every Radio Sailing Authority around the world should capture an opportunity where teaming up together, would carry some creditable weight in the successful application of Radio Sailing being involved in future Olympic Games.

Over to all of you to carry this momentum on.

JT
www.taylormadeyachts.com
My new Website

www.taylormadeyachts.com

Skippers are invited to view the Tri-Services Website

http://www.modelyachtracing.co.uk