Size of a buoy

Discuss class championship regulations, sailing instructions, umpiring, observing, scoring software, fleet racing systems, forthcoming international events, etc

Moderator: Rob Walsh

Bob Dunlap

Size of a buoy

Post by Bob Dunlap » 04 Jan 2013, 22:36

Is there a rule limiting the size of a buoy to be used for a racing mark for an IOM world or regional regatta? Our club sails from a control area at the end of a pier, we use inflatable marks 18" diameter (457mm). The 12" (304mm) we were previously using were hard to judge resulting in turning before or over standing the buoy. Our marks are yellow with black horizontal strips.
I have looked in the IOM Event Management Manual, and ISAF equipment guidelines and could not find a size limitation.

Hiljoball
Sail number: CAN 307
Club: West Coast Radio Sailing
Design: V8
Canada

Re: Size of a buoy

Post by Hiljoball » 05 Jan 2013, 00:29

Hi Bob,

I am not aware of any specific rule.

Size is not the only consideration. The new Appendix E sets the default that the start and finish lines lie on the course side of the marks. That suggests a mark needs to float upright, and have vertical sides to remove ambiguity over the location of the line.

It is also a nice feature if the mark is wide enough to prevent a fin from fouling the anchor line.

John
John Ball
CRYA #895
IOM CAN 307 V8
In my private capacity

Bob Dunlap

Post by Bob Dunlap » 05 Jan 2013, 05:58

Hi John,
Thanks for your answer.
With regards to a square mark, it may be easier to judge the start/finish, but the mark would have to be stationary and not allowed to twist. If a square 18" (457mm) buoy was used and one rotated 45 degrees, the line could vary as much as 4" (10cm) If you counted the corner. I think a slab sided mark would make calling the line a little tougher, especially if both marks were rotating slightly.
Life or death is sometimes a matter of inches...

Bob

Hiljoball
Sail number: CAN 307
Club: West Coast Radio Sailing
Design: V8
Canada

Post by Hiljoball » 05 Jan 2013, 06:51

Hi Bob,

I was suggesting a cylinder, not a cube. . . sorry if I caused confusion.

John
John Ball
CRYA #895
IOM CAN 307 V8
In my private capacity