2016 EUROS

Discuss class championship regulations, sailing instructions, umpiring, observing, scoring software, fleet racing systems, forthcoming international events, etc

Moderator: Rob Walsh

Neil Armstrong
Sail number: GBR 13
Design: Mallard

2016 EUROS

Post by Neil Armstrong » 07 Apr 2016, 22:09

Could someone explain to me please.

Entry fee is very very expensive and you need to travel from USA to be assistant PRO? No one from Europe available? Expensive trip.

12 non European sailing but French Achille is only reserve, he sails and supports the class but cannot get a place, terrible.

Come on IOMICA, you are better than this surely?

CHATIN Achille
Sail number: FRA 16
Club: CV Cazaux Lac
Design: V8

Re: 2016 EUROS

Post by CHATIN Achille » 25 Apr 2016, 10:29

Thanks for your support Neil ;-)

Just 2 weeks after final allocation of place, problem was settled, because ITA Matteo de Longi retired :-( I just hope he'll enjoy even more M & 10 R WC at home!

Fortunately, that prompt retirement permitted me to get organised for that big event. It is gonna be my 9th IOM WC/EC in a row!

I am particularly happy to meet with that EC, as I appreciate Basque sailors, the club and that very well adapted lake for RC Sailing ; one may use all their rigs, from extremely flat to choppy conditions... I could experiment all that panel as I currently go there for the past 15 years (that's one of the reasons red FRA 16 is appearing on the organizer's website).
One more point, not the least one (!), local race organizerers are well known for seeding races very quickly...get used to change rigs in max 2 min!

Last but not least, after expressing my disapointment about being on the waiting list, I received a very well written official message from the IOMICA secretary. I wish to thank him here. And also that I understand pretty well the IOMICA Bureau's views of Policy for developping the Class around the world.
FRENCH NCA Officer

Neil Armstrong

Post by Neil Armstrong » 25 Apr 2016, 20:10

FANTASTIC news........

And just as you are officially reported as being ranked 34th in Europe, would of been a little embarrassing if you could not even get a place at the Europeans.

Have a glass of red wine and celebrate.

Neil Armstrong

Post by Neil Armstrong » 25 Apr 2016, 22:06

Maybe if an IOMICA official could explain how not allowing the 34th ranked skipper in Europe to sail in the EUROPEAN championships is developing the class around the World?

If this was me i would put my boat up for sale and go and get a white plastic boat from Thailand that measures 95cm and put two fingers up to the IOM class.

Maybe if they are serious about promoting the class they should use the greatest marketing tool of all, the internet and this website, instead the website is about as dead as the Norwegian Blue, more life in a tramps vest than this website.

Anyone got some jump leads?

Gordon Davies

Post by Gordon Davies » 03 May 2016, 12:07

Places are awarded by country not Continent.

A sailor who is ranked 34th in Europe (not sure where that ranking comes from) may not be ranked high enough in his country at the time of qualification to be part of his national team.

Gordon

Olivier Cohen
IOMICA Chairman
Sail number: FRA 100
Design: Venti
France

Post by Olivier Cohen » 02 Jun 2016, 11:15

Hi Neil,

As explained by Gordon, places are awarded by country, not by continent, and at IOMICA we had the choice of taking directly a 15th french competitor (who leaves 3 hours driving from Vitoria) or inviting a guest from a country without NCA to promote IOM there.

We have chosen that latter, considering that promotion is the most important.
And considering also that it would be easier for Achille to organize after any withdrawal from any competitor than someone needing to cross oceans.

Today, 3 weeks before the event, 76 competitors are registered, and we look forward that major IOMICA event.
IOMICA Chairman