triple digit sail numbers in the US Champs

Discuss class championship regulations, sailing instructions, umpiring, observing, scoring software, fleet racing systems, forthcoming international events, etc

Moderator: Rob Walsh

Roy Thompson

Post by Roy Thompson » 24 Jun 2004, 19:19

Can our colleagues in the US please explain the use of triple digit sail numbers like 214, 275, 183 and the highly creative 792 when the 2-digit counterparts (niether 21 nor 14, 75, 83, 92 etc) weren't sailing?
I can only guess it was to seperate numbers by placing a digit AFTER instead of 'before' the std sail number, and with a lot of use of No.7.

Just curious, that's all!

Cheers and well done to all!
Roy Thompson
"WE DON'T SEE THINGS AS THEY ARE, WE SEE THINGS AS WE ARE" A.N.

MCooper

Post by MCooper » 24 Jun 2004, 21:46

Roy:

I can only speak for myself as I sailed the #275 and not very well may I add. :oops: Probably the worst I have sailed since I got into this hobby. OUCH!!!!! :(

Anyway, I also have assigned sail number #75 that is used on another IOM of mine a Chinook. I requested #275 when I purchased another boat so that I could always have both on the water at any given time which actually has happened at least twice in the years.

Since I was successful in meeting the min measurements/spacing to put all 3 numbers on the sails including believe it or not the C rig, I have them on their permanently and have never had any problems with conflicts. That is the only reason on my part for this. :D
Good Sailing ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ _/)

Mark Cooper
Ericca USA#199
AC USA#81
Victoria USA#150
Footy # 27
LandYacht

mark

Post by mark » 25 Jun 2004, 02:23

Within my local club there is boat #95, 195 & 295 therefore as we sail most weekends we need to put the 3 digits on to distinguish the boats. It is not practical to apply the third number with tape or remove it weekly. Therefore we allow the boats to sail with all 3 digits.

This does not become a problem until we start to see 4 digit numbers in the USA and we need to concern ourselves with utilising the 3rd number to distinguish specific boats at events.

Mark