Moderators: Pedro Egea, Gary Boell, Fred Rocha USA 33

Bruce Andersen
USA NCA Officer
Sail number: USA 16
Club: Famous Potatoes Sailing Club
Design: Brit Pop

Uniform date for the AGM

Post by Bruce Andersen » 28 Jul 2009, 20:04

Here is another topic for discussion - should we have the AGM at the same time each year?

Doing so would standardize the dates for submission of proposals, setting the agenda, and determining voting strength and prevent some of the last minute problems we had in 2008 regarding deadlines.

For example:

If the AGM was set every March 31st every year we could count on:

1) knowing that resolutions and nominations for class officers need to be in the Secretary's hands no later than Jan 20th of each year (10 weeks prior to the AGM)

2) knowing that the agenda has to be set and published by Feb 3 of each year (6 weeks prior to the AGM)

3) knowing that NCA's have to declare membership and voting strength by March 3 of each year (4 weeks prior to the AGM)

I don't think that having the AGM at the WC's adds much. IMHO, an open discussion at big regattas with the sitting EXEC might be more effective than having a discussion at the end of a formal AGM because the folks running the meeting might not be part of the new EXEC.
Bruce Andersen - USA 16
No longer a USA NCA Officer, but can't change my profile!

Bruce Andersen
USA NCA Officer

Re: Uniform date for the AGM

Post by Bruce Andersen » 31 Dec 2009, 06:45

Any decisions on setting up a regular date for the AGM? It would be nice to be able to plan for it.
Bruce Andersen - USA 16

Bruce Andersen
USA NCA Officer

Post by Bruce Andersen » 19 Jan 2010, 06:06

2 months since the last query - any news on the date?
Bruce Andersen - USA 16

Alfonso
IOMICA Chairman

Post by Alfonso » 19 Jan 2010, 18:52

No yet, but you will be informed as everybody else, at least, 8 weeks before the AGM.

RoyL

Post by RoyL » 20 Jan 2010, 00:41

I believe the question asked was whether or not there is a plan to have the IOMICA AGM held at a regular time each year. From the nature of the reply ("you will informed as everybody else, at least 8 weeks before the AGM"), I take it that the answer is therefore "NO".

Stevew23

Post by Stevew23 » 29 Jan 2010, 14:30

I have no problem with a uniform date - but the suggested date is perhaps a little early in the year for us fellows in the Southern hemisphere . Xmas time is our summer holidays and many people are away till 1st or 2nd week of Jan [at least here in South Africa] - doesnt allow much time for voting and canvassing members etc.....
Steve
RSA NCA Rep

Bruce Andersen
USA NCA Officer

Post by Bruce Andersen » 30 Jan 2010, 07:23

For me, the date is less important than the regularity and predictability of a standard date for the meeting. In the past, the meetings have been posted at various times of the year, which required each NCA to do their internal polling and voting in response to the whims of the EXEC.

Suggesting a uniform date would allow the NCA's and their members to set their schedules accordingly.

Can you think of any well run world wide organization that holds its annual meetings "when we get around to it"?
Bruce Andersen - USA 16

Barry Fox CAN262
Sail number: CAN 46
Club: VMSS
Design: V8

Post by Barry Fox CAN262 » 30 Jan 2010, 17:42

Bruce, the one you used to have a hand in did.
Barry Fox
CAN 46
Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

Bruce Andersen
USA NCA Officer

Post by Bruce Andersen » 31 Jan 2010, 07:50

I realize that, and also realize that it's a bad way to run a big organization. That's why I'm trying so hard to change it! Not getting a bit of support from the present EXEC makes me think the present EXEC feels the old way is better.

It appease as though you have blamed me (via Andy's EXEC, of which I was a part) for the "when we get around to it" method and also for trying to change it. Pretty cool - no offense taken.

If you need to identify someone to blame for old policies that need change, go ahead and point the blame at me. Just standardize the date for the AGM! It will benefit IOMICA and its members and the present EXEC can take the credit for a job well done!
Bruce Andersen - USA 16

Barry Fox CAN262
Sail number: CAN 46
Club: VMSS
Design: V8

Post by Barry Fox CAN262 » 31 Jan 2010, 18:40

Not really. Personally I would say that any organization (regardless of size) that is required to have annual meetings ought to have them annually and at approximately the same time each year and usually a month or two after the financial books for the previous year are closed and complete.

It is a little bit like the proposal/discussion to change how votes are counted. I asked all the NCA/WC Reps for opinions and ideas on that topic and the first thing was that almost no one answered and those that did mostly thought we should stay where we are with maybe a little traction around having only one class of owner. But absolutely no one has offered any kind of proposal, and those kinds of things really should have some traction among the NCA Reps before you start to work on them.

I understand and admire your passion for these topics but so far (and it can be noted by the number of different respondents on the topic) it doesn't seem to be on everybody's wish list.

I could easily support a set AGM date.
Barry Fox
CAN 46
Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

Bruce Andersen
USA NCA Officer

Post by Bruce Andersen » 31 Jan 2010, 22:26

If we had a date set for the AGM an NCA could put forth a proposal for voting reform or whatever they choose. Once there is a definite ballot issue, opinions start being expressed.
Bruce Andersen - USA 16

RoyL

Post by RoyL » 04 Feb 2010, 00:01

I have always taken the position that without strong support from at least one NCA for changes in the IOM class rules, it is not appropriate for the IOMICA Executive to act on its own accord except in the case of an emergency.

What is surprising is that about a year ago, when I put forth that position the class members who disagreed most strongly were Robert Grubisa, Olivier Cohen and Alfonso Moreno.

I hope that the current Executive will continue to act as suggested by Barry Fox--unless there is a call for change from an NCA, then the Executive will not act on its own accord.