Moderators: Pedro Egea, Gary Boell, Fred Rocha USA 33

Hiljoball
Sail number: CAN 307
Club: West Coast Radio Sailing
Design: V8
Canada

IRSA Proposes changes to its Constitution

Post by Hiljoball » 14 Oct 2017, 23:11

Once you read this and its attachments, please contact your National Sailing Organization President to let them know your views - either for or against. Your President as your National Authority is being asked to vote on this proposal - and it looks like a single vote - all or nothing.

I am posting this as I hope you see the negatives in this proposal outweigh any positives, and seek to achieve a NO vote.

The IRSA Executive has issued a call for a Special vote from all the Member Countries. The proposal (attached) is to make various changes to the IRSA Constitution.

I have been reading the proposal and have a few comments, see attached.

This proposal leaves out the IOMICA from the 'new' Executive. If any of the named classes (A, 10R, M,) is sufficiently successful as to form its own ICA, it will automatically lose its seat on the IRSA Executive. Where is the sense in that?

The proposal does several other things. For example, currently if the Executive needs to solve an emergency problem, they make make a change, but then they must seek ratification from the Member Countries at the next AGM. Under this proposal the Executive may make changes to just about anything. If the Member Nations object, they must take action at the next AGM to deny the change - a reversal of process.

John
Attachments
my comments on the proposed changes.pdf
(30.97 KiB) Downloaded 437 times
Introduction to 2017 Constitution.pdf
(226.95 KiB) Downloaded 450 times
IRSA Constitution 2017.pdf
(96.71 KiB) Downloaded 423 times
John Ball
CRYA #895
IOM CAN 307 V8
In my private capacity

Hiljoball
Sail number: CAN 307
Club: West Coast Radio Sailing
Design: V8
Canada

Re: IRSA Proposes changes to its Constitution

Post by Hiljoball » 09 Nov 2017, 04:25

I heard that the proposal above failed to pass. The proposal failed to achieve the required two thirds majority.

The voting was In favour 7 - Against 6 - and 4 abstentions. Some 20 countries did not vote.

The breakdown was

In favour Croatia, Malta, Norway, USA, France, Germany, Turkey.

Against New Zealand, Great Britain, Canada, Denmark, Sweden, Argentina

Abstain Netherlands, Japan, Czech Republic

All other member nations failed to participate.

The IOMICA was not allowed to vote as the measure did not directly affect the IOMICA.

Thank you to those who took the time to share your views Pro or Con with your National Authority and for encouraging them to vote on your behalf.

John
John Ball
CRYA #895
IOM CAN 307 V8
In my private capacity