Two new Oz IOMs

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

nick lin

Two new Oz IOMs

Post by nick lin » 02 May 2006, 14:52

I have placed some pictures of Brad Gibson "Punk" and also the surprisingly quick SkiffEater of Glen Ey up on www.oziomz.com

NL

Nigel

Post by Nigel » 05 May 2006, 11:42

Looking at Brads new boat, it looks as if Michael Scharmers trip to AUS has had some impact on design thoughts downunder :lol:
Nigel Winkley
GER 87

Brad Gibson

Post by Brad Gibson » 05 May 2006, 16:05

Hope you guy's dont mind if i shed some truth on the "Punk" iom design.

The design is a development of my second iom design (SC4) of which was first launched in 1999.
It was primarily designed with the 2005 Worlds in mind & was launched in May 05. (Hardly New !)
The boat raced in few regatta's with moderate results as the parallel style fins being used in our Disco design did not suit her at all. In the end time constraints proved too much to get her up to the allround speed of the Disco, hence the Disco was used by myself to place 6th at the 05 Worlds.

Since the 05 Worlds, a new US fin was fitted to the boat which solved any balance issues with the design & she has since proven to be a very nice boat to sail, placing 2nd to Paul Jones in the NSW Championships Nov 05 using all 3 rigs.

Asthetics in deck & sheer are on the drawing board for the design, though as i am currently not in the position to manufacture boats, there has been no time frame set.

In short the boat is not in production, is not new & certainly is not a copy on anyone else's design thoughts.

If any of the above changes, you will read about it first on our website, not in a forum!

Cheers
BG