My IOM

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

Gonçalo

My IOM

Post by Gonçalo » 25 Mar 2004, 15:44

First, I must say hi everyone.
I am new here, and to be honnest I am new to all this One Meter thing.
My interest started when I was given a comercial model, Kyosho's freewind.
After that I wondered if I could built something myself, and so I started, and it went quite well I must say! It sails much better than the model I had.
After that I was given a challenge by a cousin of mine: we should both buil our own boats (original ones), register them in the IOM class, and the race them. This is the process I'm going through right now.
I chose polyester resin and fibre glass as materials, but my biggest doubt concerns the rules. I'm not really following a specific design or anything, so I dont have specifications.
Anyway, I was wondering if someone can help me with that. What I need are the diagrams with all the measurement lines. I read the rules, but I cant undestand all of it that well. So, if anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks in advance
Gonçalo

Chairman
IOMICA Chairman

Re: My IOM

Post by Chairman » 25 Mar 2004, 19:30

Gonçalo wrote:... my biggest doubt concerns the rules. I'm not really following a specific design or anything, so I dont have specifications. Anyway, I was wondering if someone can help me with that. What I need are the diagrams with all the measurement lines.
Hi Gonçalo

Three thoughts.

One is to find your local club and ask there for help. Two is to build from a set of plans which are appropriate to someone like yourself, relatively new to the class. Three is to have a look at some Web sites for information. A good place to start is Anders Wallin's site at http://www.physics.helsinki.fi/~awallin/surcp/links.htm
Chairman
IOMICA Executive

Greg Vasileff

Post by Greg Vasileff » 25 Mar 2004, 19:55

Gonçalo

I've started compiling websites that have to do with boat building. Most all are IOM.

Visit our club website @ http://ghmyc.org/ and go to the 'Links' page. Go to the bottom of that page and you will find them. I would recommend the Triple Crown IOM being that the plans are free via the Internet.
Greg V

Gonçalo

Post by Gonçalo » 26 Mar 2004, 10:59

I guess you're right, the best thing is to start is to look at some plans.
I'll try to find some on the links you left here.
Thanks for the help.
I'll try to come here more often, I really have litlle time, but I'll be posting my advancements