OZIOMZ and measurements

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

nick lin

OZIOMZ and measurements

Post by nick lin » 17 Jan 2005, 04:43

A few designers (well Darren Searle, Ares) has told me that he would send me all the stats and dims I can imagine, plus a few more of his own. Is there any preferences out there?

While I am here, if any designers are reading this DO NOT want any dims and stats published, please let me know. The idea of one owner on this very forum being uneasy about telling me - or anyone else - that the beam of their DreamBoat IOM is exactly 245mm wide, 55% back from the front doesn't sit well, respect or not. Is it just me?

Or, better, designers themselves can add their comments directly here if they wish. as Brad has done elswhere.

Nick
www.oziomz.com

Nigel28
Sail number: CAN 28
Design: Vancouver

Post by Nigel28 » 17 Jan 2005, 07:19

Curious this one.
I was watching the other threads with some interest having bought a production boat and then designed and built a boat of my own, nothing like the design I bought. To say that by simply publishing a few dimensions that anyone can get hold of is giving away a designers idea's seems to streach a point a little. There is more to it than the position and size of max beam and rocker. Thats what makes it such a challenge. I think I did ok with my design, it floats and sails forward, but I would have been interested to see what other people where putting out. Not that I would have copied anyone else's design either, whats the point? I want to try my own idea's! So I for one don't see the problem and would appreciate a few technical specs. I would however draw the line at reproducing drawings without permission and wonder if permission should be sought for detailed photos? It is one thing to have a look at a new boat at the club on Sunday, but seems to be a different matter when it comes to publishing something on the web.
Nigel Ashman
CAN 328

Dan Crowley

Post by Dan Crowley » 17 Jan 2005, 18:01

Personally, I believe that knowing what the max beam and transom width are, is a big part in the decision-making process of purchasing a new boat. I've requested this information from the builder of a boat I'm thinking of buying, and have not received a response. Having this basic info available is a good idea.

nick lin

Amateur aircraft

Post by nick lin » 17 Jan 2005, 23:09

There are precedents and perhaps someone reading this can verify. Amateur built aircraft (kit form, second hand, ground up, whatever) are designed by professionals as well as amateurs. What is their usual policy on revealing critical and useful dimensions and stats? My feeling is they are fairly open about the issue.

Nick
www.oziomz.com