2008 Malta International Open Meeting

Discuss class championship regulations, sailing instructions, umpiring, observing, scoring software, fleet racing systems, forthcoming international events, etc

Moderator: Rob Walsh

Vinnie Zammit

2008 Malta International Open Meeting

Post by Vinnie Zammit » 04 Nov 2007, 09:46

The MMBA will be holding an International Open IOM Championship 28th to 31st March 2008.

Details and a copy of Notice of Race can be obtained on www.mmba.org.mt or contact Hon Sec on mmba@onvol.net

Hope to see you all there

Vinnie Zammit

John Taylor

Malta (IOM) Open Championship 2008

Post by John Taylor » 21 Dec 2007, 18:49

Some of you maybe aware that Malta are staging an international (IOM) open regatta at the end of March 2008. The venue and accomodation is provisionally at the Excelcior Grand Hotel.Valetta. (pardon the spelling). I have just spent last weekend at this venue where I sailed in the Maltease IOM Nationals. I have to say both the venue for the race and the accomodation is first class. Everyone who can, should make an effort to travel to Malta for this regatta in March.

Excelcior Grand Hotel (spelling)
5 star hotel

The hotel has approximately over 400 rooms. With an indoor and outdoor pool, spa and a gym the family will be occupied whilst all of us skippers are sailing. The hotel has a restaurant, bars and boasts friendly staff who will cope with all your needs. The rooms in the hotel are clean, large, ensuite and you may get a complimentary bottle of wine. (We did!)
The hotel itself is 10 minutes walk from town. Bus travel is easy to find for any sight seeing you wish to do. Most importantly, for us skippers, you can leave your room with your boat, go down the lift and out to the sailing water where you will be racing. Its that easy!
Malta is switching to EURO's in January and alcohol is expensive in the hotel. However, for a night out you can go to Slieama (spelling) where drinks are much cheaper.

Regatta Venue
As I've said, your actually on the doorstep of your hotel where you will be sailing. The peice of water is situated in a marina with the prevailing wind direction being North Westerly. This direction was experienced last weekend and sailing in second rig all the time. Infact the best wind arc of direction is Northwest, North to Northeast. (Expect strong winds).
The race officer set a large course and is always keen to keep boats on the water. In the Nationals last weekend we completed 30 races. (Not bad). I am led to believe that the association are planning some social events during this regatta, in my opinion this is one race that everyone should make an effort to go too. I'm glad I went there to scout the place.

For more info go to the Malta Model Boat website. Situated on the IOMICA webpage. Or email Vinnie and Val Zammit on: mmba@onvol.net

J.T.

John Taylor

Malta IOM Nationals 2007

Post by John Taylor » 22 Dec 2007, 19:21

Reference my previous post

If you go onto the Malta IOM Association website, you will find more pictures of the venue where the international IOM meeting will be taking place in March 2008. There are pictures of the hotel, water and of the people who you all will come across. Its a great place and the National Championship was a fantastic way to spend a weekend.

www.mmba.moonfruit.com

J.T.
My new Website

www.taylormadeyachts.com

Skippers are invited to view the Tri-Services Website

http://www.modelyachtracing.co.uk