New Technical Documents/Forum Postings

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

RoyL

New Technical Documents/Forum Postings

Post by RoyL » 23 Feb 2010, 19:39

It seems that there are again some new documents posted on the IOMICA home page and not mentioned on the forum. I know that many of us go directly to the forum page and not the homepage to check for updates. It would be very helpful if any updates on the homepage are at least mentioned on the forum.

As to the Technical documents that have been posted, it is stated that some have been "updated" as of February. Would it be possible to see those updates/changes indicated on the documents? I know this was done in the past. It certainly makes it easier to understand what is new and what has long been in effect.

Finally, I appreciate the history of the IOM technical rules changes that has been posted. Looks like a lot of work. I was wondering who contributed and reviewed the document and verified the accuracy of all of that information? It could be very useful for the future.

Robert Grubisa
Vice-chairman (Technical)
Sail number: CRO 68
Club: JK Opatija
Design: Kantun 2
Croatia

Re: New Technical Documents/Forum Postings

Post by Robert Grubisa » 24 Feb 2010, 22:23

Hi Roy

1) Updates

Updates have been announced on the front page of the IOM ICA website as it is usual on other websites. Many of us goes first to the IOM ICA website from page and entering the Forum through link on that page.... Anyhow, in the future news on the website regarding the technical issues will be mentioned on the Forum.

2) "Role and Functions of the Technical Sub-Committee"

"Role and Functions of the Technical Sub-Committee" is the basic document for the work of the IOM ICA TSC. "The IOM Current Policy statement" is the document mentioned in the "Role and Function..."

As current IOM ICA VC Technical, I think that we have to follow this documents or to change them if we find it necessary. Old "Role and Functions of the Technical Sub-Committee" has text "Draft Version 1.0, January 7, 2004" in the subtitle and its status was not clear. Now it is clear that this is final official document and not a draft.

Wording of the document in February 2010 edition is the same as original one.

3) "The IOM Current Policy statement"
The document has been developed by the IOMICA Inaugural Executive Committee, based on earlier work by Laurent Chapelot - past IOMICA VC Technical, Graham Bantock - past ISAF-RSD Technical Committee Chairman, and Jan Dejmo, past ISAF-RSD Vice-chairman.
Parts of IYRU MYRD Policy for Classes and Intent of the Class Rules (1995) © have been used.

IOM ICA Exec reviewed and updated the document on 12 February 2010. Changes are minor compared to the original text (underlined):

1.2. Sailing characteristics

The arrival of high level skippers from the radio sailing (Marblehead class), as well as, from manned sailing classes shows its attraction.

1.3. Other info
Those who are interested in hull and appendage design, rig tuning and sail shape design but not in sail plan design.

The people who sail this class frequently cite the lack of expense and simplicity associated with the class as positive reasons for owning an IOM compared to the other international radio sailing classes recognised by ISAF RSD. In many countries and in most cases the International One Metre class is the international radio sailing class to be recommend to a newcomer to the sport.

2.Policy

The class is currently considered to be the most popular class in most countries and is certainly the most numerous radio sailing International Class.

4) "History of the International One Metre Class Rules"
At the end of the document "History of the International One Metre Class Rules" it is clearly stated who is the author and which documents have been consulted:

Prepared by Robert Grubisa, IOM ICA VC Technical
Notes:
Following documents have been used for preparation of the History of the International One Metre Class Rules:
− Original texts of the IOM Class Rules starting from original 1988 edition
− IYRU MYRD Policy for Classes and Intent of the Class Rules, 1995 (ISAF RSD website)
− About the New 2002 ISAF-RSD International Class Rules, 2002 (ISAF RSD website)
− IOM ICA Comments on 2003 Class Rules – Version 1 dated April 20 2003, (IOM ICA
document)
− The IOM: Origins and recent history, September 2001, (IOM ICA document)

If you, or anybody else find some wrong data or missing info, just let me know and I will ammend the text.
Robert Grubisa