Tuning a "Highlander" (McCormack design)

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

edmorales

Tuning a "Highlander" (McCormack design)

Post by edmorales » 13 Dec 2003, 13:01

hello to all! i am new to rc sailing and after alot of surfing and comparing the different rc boats available, i have decided to get into ioms. i am in the process of aquiring my first iom, a pre-owned highlander. i understand that it is from kiwiland and that it is no longer in production. i just want to know more and seek advice from any of you guys who has had experience in sailing and in tuning this particular iom .which settings should i watch out for and tune.thanks :)

Steve Landeau
Sail number: USA 12
Design: Which One
United States of America

Post by Steve Landeau » 14 Dec 2003, 03:30

Hello, Ed. Welcome to the class. Where will you be sailing?
Steve Landeau
AMYA 10859
IOM USA 112
Finn USA 112
Cal 25 #548

edmorales

Post by edmorales » 14 Dec 2003, 05:22

steve, i am from manila,philippines . we are promoting the iom class in our local rc sailing club. :)

Steve Landeau
Sail number: USA 12
Design: Which One
United States of America

Post by Steve Landeau » 14 Dec 2003, 06:26

The Highlander was my first ordered IOM, second to be delivered.
It sails very well in light air, but when the wind comes up over about 5 knots, it gets a bit tough to keep up with trim. It shows strong weather helm in the puffs, and is sensitive to mast rake. I never had the opportunity to sail it with anything but the #1 rig. You'll have fun with it, and learn much about rig tuning, but it is not a highly competitive design. I think Brett's second production hull, the Predator, was a much better design, with the exception of the "spoon" deck.
Steve Landeau
AMYA 10859
IOM USA 112
Finn USA 112
Cal 25 #548

Chairman
IOMICA Chairman

Post by Chairman » 14 Dec 2003, 10:55

Steve Landeau wrote:It sails very well in light air, but when the wind comes up over about 5 knots, it gets a bit tough to keep up with trim. It shows strong weather helm in the puffs, and is sensitive to mast rake.
I was involved with some "Highlander" designs a few years ago, and Steve's advice is spot-on. Adjusting mast rake to suit conditions is key to getting the most out of the boat.
Chairman
IOMICA Executive

edmorales

highlander tuning

Post by edmorales » 14 Dec 2003, 11:10

mr. chairman
thanks for the advise. i will print the deck markings(degree arc) which i have downloaded from your webpage. it will be a useful tool for me when adjusting the mast rake.regards-ed morales

Nigel

Predator

Post by Nigel » 14 Dec 2003, 11:21

Hi Ed,

I can't second what Steve said about the Predator, I really suffered the same problems he had with his Highlander. The boat was a b.... at the top of No. 1 rig. On the other hand it was one of the fastest boats as soon as everyone was on No. 2.
The good thing about the boat is, that I learned alot about trimming, as the boat was very sensitive to any changes! So you certainly didn't make a mistake getting a Highlander :!:
Nigel Winkley
GER 87