Moderators: Pedro Egea, jeffbyerley

Henri Winters
Sail number: NED33
Club: KNZ&RV
Design: KMR
Netherlands

3d printed interior

Post by Henri Winters » 06 Aug 2023, 14:07

Hi, My name is Henri Winters, from the Amsterdam region, the Netherlands. I enjoy RC sailing, but for me, building my own boats is a big part of the fun. I prefer to build in wood, but I also like to design and 3D print fittings, brackets etc. At the moment I am building a wooden IOM and I would like to 3D print the interior, so keelfin box, mast well, brackets for all RC gear etc. When designing these things, I notice that the slicer program often uses an infill in between two solid walls of PLA, to save material. As these brackets etc will be glued to the hull, they have to comply with rule D 2.1.1. My question is: does the use of an infill in the construction of the keelfin box, or the winch bracket count as 'honeycombed'? thus making it illegal? I can't find anything about this in the Q and A section. Anyone who can help me out?
personally I feel that if this turns out to be illegal, The fabrication of 3D printed parts will become a lot more difficult.
thanks for your thoughts on this.

Juan Marcos Egea

Re: 3d printed interior

Post by Juan Marcos Egea » 26 Aug 2023, 09:19

Hello Henri,

I don´t know if "honeycombed" refers to a hexagonal pattern exclusively or if it includes also all other patterns like triangular, rectilinear, etc. Anyway, all of them do the same effect, so from my point of view, they are prohibited, it doesnt matter if you use a hexagonal pattern or a triangular one, or a rectilinear one, the use of infill is not allowed.
You can design your parts to print them at 0% infill (shells) or print at 100% infill (solids). Print with any other infill configuration comes out like a sandwich panel and it is prohibited.

Regards,
Juan M.