Summary from European Championships (Allocations)

Discuss class championship regulations, sailing instructions, umpiring, observing, scoring software, fleet racing systems, forthcoming international events, etc

Moderator: Rob Walsh

Tito Llana

Post by Tito Llana » 16 Feb 2004, 02:51

Hi Steve,

I come back from Arcos and I see with amazement the Steve allegations.

Well,

1) this is a public forum and so all the world can to say theirs thoughts.

2) the IOMICA exec and events subcom is attacked in front in injustified way.

3) We begin the IOMICA new tasks and the Class, steve, she need dispassionateness and appeasement but sureness.

4) Perhaps, you are in disaccord, it's right, but you loss the reason when it is necessary for you, to defender your position, to insert a statement in bad faith from the EC.

5) So, after reflexion, I send you, quickly, a global answer, his contents I resume for you in a few lines.

a) The IOMICA exec and the Events Committee is elected for acting into the better way FOR ALL they know.

b) We must, yourself included, make distinction between technical issues and personal assessements.

c) The technical issues already they are exppressed, perhaps they can be most explained in practice.

d) The personal assessements you are writed are intolerable and they could require a personal amendment from you. you are an honest man (yourself said) and I am sure you will take your own responsability for them. I let you to do it or not.

e) The IOMICA exec, in any time, must considere, the better way of participation of ALL SKIPPERS concerned and because the Class, she's in strong growth,:

Steve:

Europe you know she's composed by very much countries with very much IOM skippers wishing to participate in their Continental. That isn't new. it's right? of course. I think

Also, our Class, she need still more development and to stay united around the world. it's desirable? Of course. I am sure

Certainly, until now, all the events are rather open access, but with the actual IOM strong growth, (skippers and countries interest), from now on or in the future, it shall be necessary to establish usually:
  • an event acces based on stage issues
  • an elegibility code based on ranking and previous classements
We shall be ALWAYS limited by the frequence restrictions and the heat capacity of management (84). If we could be 150 or 200 participants, not problem. You see?

Then, how to do?

Well, perhaps to establishing:

More regionals events, more national events, more continental events, more open international events to configure even more accurate Continentals and Worlds Champs around the world.

When in the future the US Nationals, you have very much number of potential entrances, you can be sure, if you should have 100, or 150 entrances, you shall be commited yourself to give priority at national entrances.

And so, that's the key to the problem, it's the key point:

What and when the events must be reasonably open at non-zone skippers and what events not are?.

How many non-zone entrances? for quilibrated decisión...

Should be in fonction of zone potenctials entrants?

Or, should be in fonction of non-zone wishes?

In the actual situation

You know we are:

enough augmented in number (4 to 12, non-zone wishes satisfaction criterium)

and introduce the non zone acces in second stage. (zone potential entrance to max to 8, relative priority criterium)

It's for you an equilibrated decision for all the world?... and for an european potential competitor... can you put in the other place...?

Certainly... it's impossible to satisfy all the world, but steve, it's the better solution.

Yours unfortunately comments, I think friendly, they suffer of lack of adequate perspective.

The adequate perspective isn't about the old situations (Fleetwood 2002) but over the new and future issues. Our class is growing, steve.

it's necessary others continentals?...

Others Internationals Events?...

In Spain, always, we organise:

Spanish nationals (Closed)

Spanish Cup (Open)

Regional Andalusian Champs (Closed)

Regional Andalusian Cup (open)

That's the better way for development of our Class that you are worry.

Sometimes, we are blinded with ours owns legal interests without to realize the global situation and general interest.

But don't worry... be happy ... That is the IOMICA exec and EC mission !!

So, because I guess you are a great type at bottom, at least you are a brave and hot heart. (smile) I wish to suggest you came here with us, to EC. So you could see the "battle" from the other shore and to have the opportunity to "do" it. (smile)

• One thing steve, parlez-vous français?

best regards

pardon for my spanglish

P.S.

So I wish to announce, from now on, our intention in the future, to organise annually , if IOMICA give approval, the INTERNATIONAL OPEN (IOM SPAIN MASTERS) in Arcos Lake International IOM Race Base.
Tito Llana

Tito Llana

Post by Tito Llana » 16 Feb 2004, 03:41

hi dick,

quiet sirs quiet, please...

perhaps unfortunated comments...

but at least ... it's a Continental Champs... some priority is due.... no?...

If isn't the case... we forget the denomination and we make the worlds annually....

it shall be better for the Class around the world?....

quiet the guys...
Tito Llana

RoyL

US IOM Nationals

Post by RoyL » 18 Feb 2004, 00:29

I have now spoken to the US class secretary and the race director for the 2004 US IOM Nationals. For those who are unable to gain a place at the European Championship (and also for those who would like to participate in a major race in the US and the Europeans), we would welcome entrants from around the world. All efforts would be made to accomodate those who are willing to travel to this event. Dates are posted below.

[Edited on behalf of and with the permission of Roy, 19 Feb]

Steve Landeau
Sail number: USA 12
Design: Which One
United States of America

Post by Steve Landeau » 18 Feb 2004, 09:05

Hi, all. I’d like to clear a few things up. First, if you were personally offended by my comments on the decisions made regarding the allocation regulations, I am sorry. I tried to be clear that I was not attacking anyone individually. Second, regarding the comments I made as to whether or not I would go “even if there were a spotâ€
Steve Landeau
AMYA 10859
IOM USA 112
Finn USA 112
Cal 25 #548

Tito Llana

Post by Tito Llana » 18 Feb 2004, 12:02

Hi Steve,

a pint or ... more...

best regards

tito
Tito Llana

RoyL

Post by RoyL » 19 Feb 2004, 01:56

It has always been my understanding that at any major multi-country race there are more people who wish to attend than the number of places available.