Social sailing

Discuss class championship regulations, sailing instructions, umpiring, observing, scoring software, fleet racing systems, forthcoming international events, etc

Moderator: Rob Walsh

Chairman
IOMICA Chairman

Social sailing

Post by Chairman » 09 Aug 2004, 14:56

I dropped in on one of the UK's RC Laser events (one of the rounds of the "Travellers Series", sailors from all over the UK attending) and noticed a couple of interesting things.

Straight off, let me say that I've sailed a RC Laser. For what it offers at its price point it is an excellent kit, and the boat requires considerable skill to sail well. Really. But I didn't have as much fun as I was expecting. This was mainly because I hadn't expected to have to send the winch a postcard asking it if it could see its way clear to sheeting in by Friday lunch-time or so because I would appreciate being able to tack on the header I thought I would experience at around that time... :) You get the idea.

The interesting things at the Travellers Series event were that there were many more partners (wives) at the event than I usually see at a radio sailing event, so it was a much more "social" event. There were hardly any penalty turns taken, although there were many contacts, so it was a more "social" event. There was no yelling or shouting or protesting or serious testosterone on display, and, the sailors were having fun. OK, so it had "social event" written all over it. But it got me thinking, 'cos I'd like the IOM to be sailed just as socially at clubs around the globe.

What about a set of "Racing rules for social event sailing", or RRSES? (An unfortunate acronym if any attempt is made to pronounce it...)
  1. Port-tack keeps clear of starboard.
  2. Windward keeps clear of leeward.
  3. Clear astern keeps clear of clear ahead.
  4. While tacking or gybing, keep clear of other boats.
  5. Apart from starting marks, give room to all inside boats to pass the mark.
  6. Give room to boats avoiding an obstruction.
  7. Do not make contact with marks or other boats.
  8. Make a penalty turn if you gained any places by any breach of these rules.
  9. If called by the Race Officer for failing to make a turn, or for any breach of sportsmanship or social good humour, you shall make two penalty turns. If called twice in any heat, you shall retire immediately from that heat.
Chairman
IOMICA Executive

Roy Thompson

Post by Roy Thompson » 09 Aug 2004, 17:35

I think that's about what we do in our weekly club races anyway -possibly to avoid the male hormone thing. It doesn't mean we have more partners coming however, but it does mean newcomers aren't put off quite so much.
Roy Thompson
"WE DON'T SEE THINGS AS THEY ARE, WE SEE THINGS AS WE ARE" A.N.

Arvin S.

Social events

Post by Arvin S. » 10 Aug 2004, 05:40

Lester,

I agree with Roy, we do the same thing during our races here anyway, we have almost exactly the same rules as you listed, because most of the RC sailors really don't read up on the RRS. Heck I can't even start to claim that I know all the rules myself.

For a Social event, what we did once was invite people from the "audience" wives, girlfriends, kids, etc. to have a "point to point" race, which means no holds barred race to a mark and back. Of course it wasn't that technical but they sure admitted to having their adrenalines pumping. :) Maybe after a few of those races, we can start introducing them to the rules 2 or three at a time according to your list. :)

I think it's a great way to introduce people to model sailing and is worth pursuing.

As for the lasers, I take it they used Hitec 715BB sail servos? Yes a bit slow :( But works okay for "social events" and weekend races. :)

TTFN
Arvin