While I am opposed to this proposal in principle (such funding should be part of the regatta budget and responsibility of the host), the proposal is seriously flawed - while it uses an example of 5000 Euros, the actual amount is not specified, nor any year over year increase - just the distribution of the charge.
So as worded we a giving free reign to the IOMICA and the host to set any amount.
John
Fee for video streaming
Moderators: Josip Marasovic, Michel Roure, Zoltan G Illes
-
John Ball
- Posts: 302
- Joined: 06 Jan 2006, 00:47
- Sail number: CAN 307
- Club: West Coast Radio Sailing
- Design: V8
- Location: CAN
- Contact:
Fee for video streaming
John Ball
CRYA #895
IOM CAN 307 V8
In my private capacity
CRYA #895
IOM CAN 307 V8
In my private capacity
Re: Fee for video streaming
I have some experience in television and internet streaming of video content. (Thirty plus years in the US entertainment and streaming industry including selling a sports streaming start up service a few years back for $60 million). It is worthwhile to have a clear understanding of the total audience that is interested in watching an IOM World Championship event.
The best measurement to use to gauge audience is the number of actual persons watching at any one time (often referred to as "uniques" for unique viewers) Aggregated Views is probably the least accurate method. A "view" means anytime someone watches a stream. So for example, if I clicked on a thirty minute video, watched for five minutes; went away and came back ten minutes later and watched another five minutes and so on over the next two days that would count as six views even though it was one person watching for very short periods. Further if I am watching a multi day event and I click in to watch say five times a day for six days that would count as thirty views. Yet the actual user following the event would again be a single individual.
It would be useful to know the actual number of people who would watch a streamed IOM championship, I would expect that number to be in the thousands at best. The plus 100K aggregate views is I would suggest misleading.
BTW, rather than have the NCA's pay for a streaming feed, why not set it up as transactional video on demand and have the viewers pay for access to the feeds?
Finally, I would suggest that if IOMICA does want to go down the video road that it set up a subcommittee of folks with some experience to supervise the process.
The best measurement to use to gauge audience is the number of actual persons watching at any one time (often referred to as "uniques" for unique viewers) Aggregated Views is probably the least accurate method. A "view" means anytime someone watches a stream. So for example, if I clicked on a thirty minute video, watched for five minutes; went away and came back ten minutes later and watched another five minutes and so on over the next two days that would count as six views even though it was one person watching for very short periods. Further if I am watching a multi day event and I click in to watch say five times a day for six days that would count as thirty views. Yet the actual user following the event would again be a single individual.
It would be useful to know the actual number of people who would watch a streamed IOM championship, I would expect that number to be in the thousands at best. The plus 100K aggregate views is I would suggest misleading.
BTW, rather than have the NCA's pay for a streaming feed, why not set it up as transactional video on demand and have the viewers pay for access to the feeds?
Finally, I would suggest that if IOMICA does want to go down the video road that it set up a subcommittee of folks with some experience to supervise the process.
- Olivier Cohen
- Vice-chairman (Events)
- Posts: 621
- Joined: 02 Dec 2004, 17:11
- Sail number: FRA 100
- Design: Venti
- Location: Nantes / France
Re: Fee for video streaming
Hi John, I will try to explain.John Ball wrote: 26 Sep 2026, 21:06 While I am opposed to this proposal in principle (such funding should be part of the regatta budget and responsibility of the host), the proposal is seriously flawed - while it uses an example of 5000 Euros, the actual amount is not specified, nor any year over year increase - just the distribution of the charge.
So as worded we a giving free reign to the IOMICA and the host to set any amount.
John
The 5000 €/year is set in the proposal(read 12.1.b), it's not an example, so it would be 10 k€ to support OA in organizing streaming for World Championship. We are aware it wouldn't cover all costs of such streaming, but it's a support given to OA.
Then calculation of fee/each NCA depends on number of owners of this NCA, and calculation is shared.
IOMICA VC Events